if u alrdy have 3.0 software update on ur iphone 3G do u have to restore AGAIN just to jailbreak?! is it BEST to set iphone as NEW phone?! thanx in advance
    06-21-2009 11:19 AM
    I'm no expert, but I jailbroke my phone for the first time yesterday with Redsnow. I already had the 3.0 software on my phone when I did so. I just downloaded a new copy from Iphone School (google it if you need the firmware), ran Redsnow, and 10 min later I had a jailbroken iPhone. No restore needed, it was easy peasy. I lost nothing, no errors at all.
    06-21-2009 12:17 PM
    @goldentree thanx . so u JB with the 3.0 u alrdy had on ur phone? u jus startd with the JB
    06-21-2009 12:25 PM
    Yeah, I had already updated my phone to 3.0 with iTunes, and had a standard non-jailbroken or unlocked set-up. All I had to do was download the 3.0 firmware from iPhone School so I could have Redsnow modify it and it worked flawlessly.
    06-21-2009 12:42 PM
    I recommend that you backup your phone through iTunes before you jailbreak it, just in case something goes wrong, but, true, you don't need to restore before hand.
    06-21-2009 02:28 PM
    I have another question about this. I'm about to JB my 3G. Last night I performed a full backup. After I JB my phone and plug back into iTunes to sync music, etc., do I let it do a backup there? Or am I supposed to preserve my backup from last night? This backup / restore is rather confusing for a newbie!
    07-10-2009 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD