I have bricked my iphone 3g and need help NOW, PLEASE!!!

wandalun

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys, this is my first post here ever- I have been using my jailbroken phone fine for months, but decided to upgrade to 3.0 and go legit.

I have a 8gb 3g with 2.2. So, i read around and checked that I could upgrade a jailbroken phone, didnt find any warnings and so hit restore on itunes. Great, now my phone is bricked. I didnt notice that itunes had upgraded itself (shared computer) to 8.2 and I cannot use th ephone now :-(

I tried to restart the phone in DFU mode, which I managed to do, however when connecting with itunes (both 7.7.1 nd 8.2) it still gives me the same error code (1013, i think) and says that the iphone is still in recovery mode and must be connecte to itunes. Starting DFU again and connecting to itunes just gives me the same warnings.

Have i totally bricked my phone, or is it redeemable in anyway? I feel naked without it:eek:

Thanks for any help guys- I am totally desperate!!!

Wandalun

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I would try manually restoring to a download of 2.2, google for the ipsw file and try that, once you have a legit 2.2 then upgrade or restore to 3.0.

Are you using windows or mac?

Mistermarc

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I know how u feel, but don't fret too much, I've "bricked my iPhone a couple times. Have always been able to get it back. First I'm not sure why u did a restore to 3.0, if I'm reading this right. When u connect to iTunes u should just be able to click upgrade. Try what other post says, I'll keep a watch if that don't work.

geemanaz

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
iPhone and iPod touch: Unable to restore

Symptoms that may have occurred with an unsuccessful restore may include a frozen screen?either at the Apple logo or some other application?or the device may repeatedly reset.
  1. Verify you have iTunes 7.5 or later. Apple recommends using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone or iPod touch, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.
  3. Power off the device (Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the the iPhone or iPod touch to turn off.
  4. Press and hold the Home button while reconnecting the USB cable to iPhone. When you reconnect the USB to iPhone, the device should then power on.

Note: If you see the message "Charging... Please Wait" or you see the screen pictured below, let the device charge for at least 10 minutes to ensure the battery has some charge and then start with step 2 again.
  5. Continue holding the Home button while iPhone starts up. While starting up, you will see the Apple logo.
  6. When you see "Connect to iTunes" on the screen, you can release the Home button and iTunes will display the recovery mode message:

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, then disconnect the USB cable from iPhone and repeat steps 3-6.
Because you must restore iPhone or iPod touch, iTunes will not recover data from the device, but if it was previously synced on the same computer and the same user account, it should restore a backup (if available). See document HT1414, "Updating and Restoring iPhone Software."

If you are still unable to restore the iPhone using this method, check Apple support for further troubleshooting and/or service options.

Note: If you sync both an iPhone and an iPod touch to the same computer, make sure you select the correct backup to restore your settings from (don't select an iPhone backup if you have an iPod touch and don't select an iPod touch backup if you have an iPhone).

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Worse case, bring it to an Apple store and let them fix it. You're not using a JB iPhone, so you'll be fine.

wandalun

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
thanks for your ideas guys :) I am going to try them tonight and will post here if I get any problems. I dont know if I made it clear but it IS a jb phone. Also, my itunes just keeps asking me to restore AND update... I dont seem to be able to do anything else?

Cheers for your help- I dont feel quite so desperate now :)

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
thanks for your ideas guys :) I am going to try them tonight and will post here if I get any problems. I dont know if I made it clear but it IS a jb phone. Also, my itunes just keeps asking me to restore AND update... I dont seem to be able to do anything else?

Cheers for your help- I dont feel quite so desperate now :)

But when you hit restore, iTunes likely blew out all of the JB stuff. If you go to the apple store, just tell them it's ok to wipe the iPhone if needed.

wandalun

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
True- I dont live near an apple store, so will give it a few more goes tonight- I cant get to the nearest store till Saturday :(

I cant get into DFU without the USB connected. Whenever I try to install 2.2, it simply doesnt work and keeps leaving me with the error message, which is the exact same message I got yesterday :(

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks for all the help so far!!!

wandalun

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Mistermarc- thanks, I didnt mean to upgrade to 3.0- stoopid mistake when I wasn;t paying attention :( I meant to downgrade, but didnt notice that itunes 8.1 was installed on the pc, and so it keeps asking me to restore AND upgrade- it doesnt give me a choice to restore only.

So, I downloaded 7.7.1 onto a fresh laptop- and am trying to DFU and restore to this. Have tried the manual install for 2.2 using the ipsw file, as suggested above, but it still isnt working. The phone starts to restore, then gets 3/4 of the way through and comes up with the error message and I cannot get any further.

I am starting to get a bit frustrated now :(

Thanks

wandalun

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Guys- thank you SO much :) It worked!! I did the manual restore on itunes 8.1. and it finally worked!! Am so happy to get my iphone back- I didnt realise how much I loved it!!!

Cheers all:D

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Put your phone into DFU, and then try doing a shift-click restore. If you select a custom 2.2.1 firmware, I'm betting everything will go well. You can find a custom firmware via a Google search "iphone 2.2.1 fusion custom".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro