I am preparing to upgrade from my 3G to the new 3Gs. I understand the iTunes Application backs up your purchased Apps for the Apple Store. Since I have JailBroke my iPhone too, How do I back up the Apps added via Jailbreaking? Also, How can I transfer the purchased Apps from the Appstore to my New iPhone? (Hopefully, They can transfer my number from the Old iPhone to the new. My wife gets the old phone)

Also, assuming that 3.0 get JailBroke, How can I get the apps from that side to the new iPhone, when it gets Jailbroken?

Thanks for any help.

Moostang
    06-15-2009 10:50 AM
    You'll need to reinstall the jailbroken apps. There is a tool that does a "backup" of jailbreak apps, but all it really does is makes a list of the jailbreak apps in order to simplify the reinstallation -- it does not backup the settings and data of the jailbreak apps.

Purchased apps will be reinstalled automatically -- they are tied to your Apple ID, not to your iPhone. So when you sync up after a new 3.0 jailbreak, the new apps will be installed automatically. If you right click on an app inside of the iTunes Application folder and select "Get Info", you'll see your details listed... this is how your iPhone and iTunes knows that you're allowed to install these apps onto your iPhone.

Other's may disagree, but I'd suggest doing a fresh jailbreak to 3.0 without restoring data. After you sync up, your contacts will come back in from Outlook Express or Windows Mail (assuming your using Windows and have it setup to sync the contacts).
    Last edited by Matt74; 06-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    06-16-2009 09:35 AM
    Tramain/Matt,

Thanks. I think Matt is correct. Some research tells me to beware of the InstallApp application because It just backs up apps, etc.

Some apps installed with Cydia/Installer may not work on the 3GS, as they may be incompatible with iPhone OS 3.0. On the other hand, Using Cydia/Installer and AptBackup sounds like the better way. Once the new phone is Jailbroken, Cydia will not allow you to install apps that are not compatible with your current or installed version of the iPhone OS (3.0).

Since I don't have that many apps installed via Jailbreaking, I'll just install a new Jailbreak with the App for OS 3.0. Then re-install new apps from Cydia/Installer.

I think I said this correctly.

Moostang
    06-16-2009 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD