Jailbreak and Unlock Confusion

bbr92

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am a PC user and have a 3g Iphone running 2.0 software. I want to unlock and jailbreak my phone but am getting confused by the wording on the Iclarified website in the tutorials and once hoping someone could clarify what they mean.

I understand I first need to jailbreak my phone so I went to the "How to Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 3G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows) " tutorial.
They offer two ispw files for download to update to 2.2 one if you wish to unlock and one if you don't, so I would obviously install the unlock one. This makes sense.
Then if I go to the unlock tutorial "How to Unlock the iPhone 3G" it says "Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be on the 02.28.00 baseband(modem firmware). This means that you must be running the 2.2 firmware or have used PwnageTool(NOT QUICKPWN) to install 2.2.1 without upgrading the baseband"
Why do they offer two versions of the ispw file if you cannot unlock if you used the QUICKPWN app?

Can anyone confirm the best way to update and jailbreak and unlock the phone. I haven't done any restores to the phone before and no data is currently on it so I have no data to lose.

Thanks

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
If you are using the custom ISPW, then you can go restore the iPhone to the 2.2.1 firmware with the 2.28.00 baseband. Simply connect your iPhone to iTunes and then hold shift and hit restore. This will give you the option to navigate to which firmware you want to restore,

bbr92

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. So as long as I restore the Iphone using the custom unlock ispw from Iclarified it is fine to use the QuickPwn application and then use Cydia and YellowSn0w?

Why do they make the statement in the unlock tutorial that it must be update using Pwange Tool and not QuickPwn then?

Thanks again

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Pwnage tool creates the cusotm firmware where as QuickPwn just performs the jailbreak.

The custom firmware is already jailbroken, so you won't need to run QuickPwn or Pwnage on it.