When i look inside my root directory, there seems to be duplicate folders in the library and in the var folder. Is it safe to delete these duplicate ones in the library, and is this why I seem to have run out of space on my iphone?

I am not sure if they are supposed to be there or not.

any advice would be helpful.

Mellie
    05-08-2009 02:03 AM
    It really depends on the folder and what's in it.

Also, how are you "seeing" these duplicate folders? Certain file managers (such as iFile) can be a little strange in their navigation and might lead you to think you have duplicate folders. Check through your folders using Terminal to make sure that duplicate folders are actually there.

As a general rule, deleting items when you aren't sure what they do is not a good thing.
    05-08-2009 09:55 AM
    Yes always practice caution when deleting things, also the copys could be used as backups by your phone.
    05-08-2009 09:57 AM
    I am using iphone browser to view files but they also are visible using ssh.

Do you think that these are backups then/ The files are duplicated in the Library (3rd folder down) and also in the .var folder.

thks for your advice
    05-11-2009 01:39 AM
    What are the names of the duplicate folders in each directory?
    05-11-2009 10:46 AM
    The folders contain the following folders;

keychains
    managed preferences
    mobiledevice
    mobileenhancer
    ripdev
    backups
    cache
    db

etc., etc.,

same in library and var.
    05-11-2009 11:34 PM
    I am far from an expert so take this with a grain of salt...

Before you do *anything* (and I'm certainly not recommending you actually do anything), backup the folders you are going to toy with.

Step 1: would be to check the size of each folder. If they are small, you are likely better off just leaving them be.

Step 2: is to not touch anything in /var. I don't know what all the directories are, but I recognize MobileDevice and db as being things your probably don't want to touch.

Step 3: from my limited understanding of things, you should be okay to remove some of the duplicate directories in the /Library directory. I wouldn't touch MobileDevice, Keychains or db though.

Like I said, unless these directories are taking up a lot of room, you are almost certainly better off to leave them be. I don't know why you have these duplicate directories, but it may be related to apps you have installed that I do not.
    05-12-2009 01:47 PM
    thanks Jellmoo, I won't do anything rash!!

Thanks for all your advice anyway.

Mellie
    05-13-2009 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD