My iPhone 3g 16gig is not jailbroken.

When I bought it I was doing MUCH research on it but while doing so, the whole 3.0 preview came out.

The following was the reason I wanted to jailbreak.

- Turn-by-turn GPS.
    - MMS
    - Video recording.

Now, we know that TbT GPS will be avaiable along with MMS, not 100% sure on Video recording but it looks like it's pretty much official (maybe I missed it).

So, what will be the advantages of jailbreaking 3.0?

P.S. : I know it's a just a rumor but looks like a new iPhone is due sometime in the summer which I know I'll get my hands on for sure. That also effects my decision as well.
    04-07-2009 11:17 AM
    While I won't be jailbreaking on 3.0 the only real reasons I see for someone to do it is for more customization. That's about it.
    04-08-2009 10:17 AM
    Or to hack things like allowing skype calls on 3G
    04-08-2009 10:18 AM
    Or to hack things like allowing skype calls on 3G
    Just posted about this in another thread. I've found that Skype on 3G is really not the best in terms of quality. Stick to WiFi or if you really need to use Skype. Again, just my opinion.
    04-08-2009 10:20 AM
    Just posted about this in another thread. I've found that Skype on 3G is really not the best in terms of quality. Stick to WiFi or if you really need to use Skype. Again, just my opinion.
    Yeah, I've tried it on the 3.0 beta and it worked ok, but not as good quality as regular 3G phone call. On wifi, at least on the computer skype sounds better than regular landline to me.
    04-08-2009 10:35 AM
    customize
    more app
    uh...thats about it
    04-10-2009 07:28 PM
    & video recording. as of right now, that isn't said to be available for the current 3g.
    04-11-2009 12:28 PM
    Why I chose Jailbreaking over 3.0...

pdanet!

Love it, love it, love it. Basically, it allows you to tether off you iphone using your preexisting data plan.
    04-12-2009 01:07 AM
    I'd still like to background the occasional app.

At the moment that's mainly BeeJiveIM, something that may change with push notifications, but NOT unless Apple can build in a proper notification area.
    04-14-2009 11:19 AM
    and already have both. Although I am kinda thinking about downgrading to 2.2.1 jailbroken because I am so terribly bored of the black background. BTW if you update your carrier file with a hacked one you can get tethering to work. voila no need for pdanet.
    04-14-2009 11:33 AM
    there is no way i am JBing on 3.0 i am going to buy this "New" iphone and keep my 3g JB. on 2.2
    04-14-2009 11:37 AM
    I'll be jailbreaking 3.0 for the following reasons:

1. SBSettings
    2. Intelliscreen
    3. Skinning
    04-16-2009 05:13 PM
    I can't live without the app backgrounder and I love sbsettings those two alone will have me waiting for a jailbreak before I update to 3.0
    04-18-2009 03:50 PM
    I don't know if I want to jailbreak anymore after 3.0 comes out. The update is really going to be good and my iPhone runs a little bit slower after jailbreaking it. The only reason to jailbreak, for me, after 3.0 is released is for Backgrounder and possibly video recording. Other than that, I don't think I will jailbreak 3.0.
    04-21-2009 11:40 PM
    I plan on jailbreaking due to phone customization and pdanet.

I would keep everything above board if Apple would release the iPhone like other phone companies do so that customization would be possible.

That black screen is veeeery boring!
    05-05-2009 11:22 PM
    I have beta 3.0 beta 4 jailbroken, and am loving it...it takes only something like GriP or Weathericon to justify it, but once official 3.0 is out, and all the jb stuff works, there will be plenty more reasons to do it (sbssettings, qik, etc)
    05-06-2009 10:04 AM
    I have beta 3.0 beta 4 jailbroken, and am loving it...it takes only something like GriP or Weathericon to justify it, but once official 3.0 is out, and all the jb stuff works, there will be plenty more reasons to do it (sbssettings, qik, etc)
    Well after i see people do it, i might consider doing it aswell.
    05-06-2009 10:07 AM
    So what are the odds of JB on 3.0? Have any of you developers done any testing on the 3.0 beta yet? I tend to agree with Bad Ash. OTOH...tethering is an important tool for me. I seldom use it, but it has saved a couple of presentations when others have planned poorly for Internet access or a Wifi system has gone down at an inopportune time.
    05-06-2009 03:20 PM
    So what are the odds of JB on 3.0? Have any of you developers done any testing on the 3.0 beta yet? I tend to agree with Bad Ash. OTOH...tethering is an important tool for me. I seldom use it, but it has saved a couple of presentations when others have planned poorly for Internet access or a Wifi system has gone down at an inopportune time.
    As far as I know Beta 4 has been jailbroken, so it won't take long once it is officially released.
    05-06-2009 03:26 PM
    The customization alone is enough to get me to jailbreak (Winterboard themes and the like).

The exclusive apps that offer amazing functionality is enough to get me to jailbreak (dTunes is a perfect example).

The ability to layout my device how I see fit is enough to get me to jailbreak (Categories and Stack FTW!)

But the kicker, the absolute non-negotiable feature I want is to be able to access the file system. Until Apple allows me to SSH into my device, access a mobile Terminal, or gives me a File Viewer, my handset will always be jailbroken.
    05-07-2009 11:55 AM
    The new iPhone Has Not been yet released by apple yet
    05-07-2009 03:40 PM
    Um... ok...

Nobody was talking about the next iPhone though.
    05-07-2009 04:24 PM
    While I won't be jailbreaking on 3.0 the only real reasons I see for someone to do it is for more customization. That's about it.
    Bad Ash,
    With all the limiting of 3G functionality recently (Skype, Slingplayer), u don't see that as a need to jailbreak?

What if they continue down this road and u can't use the new Hulu app on
    3G?

Thanks
    Mike
    05-15-2009 02:56 PM
    Bad Ash,
    With all the limiting of 3G functionality recently (Skype, Slingplayer), u don't see that as a need to jailbreak?

What if they continue down this road and u can't use the new Hulu app on
    3G?

Thanks
    Mike
    For myself personally? No. For others, sure.

As for some of the limitations that were set for apps like SlingPlayer - I can understand why AT&T put their foot down but at the same time like I said a while back, they also did it to put their own SlingPlayer like app out there. When I wrote that many people felt I was crazy... am I still crazy now???

05-15-2009 06:04 PM
    Tru i see what ya sayin
    05-15-2009 07:26 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD