3.0 vs Jailbreaking

vanishingvision7

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone 3g 16gig is not jailbroken.

When I bought it I was doing MUCH research on it but while doing so, the whole 3.0 preview came out.

The following was the reason I wanted to jailbreak.

- Turn-by-turn GPS.
- MMS
- Video recording.

Now, we know that TbT GPS will be avaiable along with MMS, not 100% sure on Video recording but it looks like it's pretty much official (maybe I missed it).

So, what will be the advantages of jailbreaking 3.0?

P.S. : I know it's a just a rumor but looks like a new iPhone is due sometime in the summer which I know I'll get my hands on for sure. That also effects my decision as well.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
While I won't be jailbreaking on 3.0 the only real reasons I see for someone to do it is for more customization. That's about it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Or to hack things like allowing skype calls on 3G

Just posted about this in another thread. I've found that Skype on 3G is really not the best in terms of quality. Stick to WiFi or if you really need to use Skype. Again, just my opinion.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Just posted about this in another thread. I've found that Skype on 3G is really not the best in terms of quality. Stick to WiFi or if you really need to use Skype. Again, just my opinion.

Yeah, I've tried it on the 3.0 beta and it worked ok, but not as good quality as regular 3G phone call. On wifi, at least on the computer skype sounds better than regular landline to me.

jay0heavenly

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Why I chose Jailbreaking over 3.0...

pdanet!

Love it, love it, love it. Basically, it allows you to tether off you iphone using your preexisting data plan.

keveridge

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I'd still like to background the occasional app.

At the moment that's mainly BeeJiveIM, something that may change with push notifications, but NOT unless Apple can build in a proper notification area.

Bucketofried

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
I choose both

and already have both. Although I am kinda thinking about downgrading to 2.2.1 jailbroken because I am so terribly bored of the black background. BTW if you update your carrier file with a hacked one you can get tethering to work. voila no need for pdanet.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I can't live without the app backgrounder and I love sbsettings those two alone will have me waiting for a jailbreak before I update to 3.0

c0mpguru

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if I want to jailbreak anymore after 3.0 comes out. The update is really going to be good and my iPhone runs a little bit slower after jailbreaking it. The only reason to jailbreak, for me, after 3.0 is released is for Backgrounder and possibly video recording. Other than that, I don't think I will jailbreak 3.0.

daaronrich

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I plan on jailbreaking due to phone customization and pdanet.

I would keep everything above board if Apple would release the iPhone like other phone companies do so that customization would be possible.

That black screen is veeeery boring!

antonioj

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I have beta 3.0 beta 4 jailbroken, and am loving it...it takes only something like GriP or Weathericon to justify it, but once official 3.0 is out, and all the jb stuff works, there will be plenty more reasons to do it (sbssettings, qik, etc)

Ghecko

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have beta 3.0 beta 4 jailbroken, and am loving it...it takes only something like GriP or Weathericon to justify it, but once official 3.0 is out, and all the jb stuff works, there will be plenty more reasons to do it (sbssettings, qik, etc)

Well after i see people do it, i might consider doing it aswell.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
So what are the odds of JB on 3.0? Have any of you developers done any testing on the 3.0 beta yet? I tend to agree with Bad Ash. OTOH...tethering is an important tool for me. I seldom use it, but it has saved a couple of presentations when others have planned poorly for Internet access or a Wifi system has gone down at an inopportune time.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
So what are the odds of JB on 3.0? Have any of you developers done any testing on the 3.0 beta yet? I tend to agree with Bad Ash. OTOH...tethering is an important tool for me. I seldom use it, but it has saved a couple of presentations when others have planned poorly for Internet access or a Wifi system has gone down at an inopportune time.

As far as I know Beta 4 has been jailbroken, so it won't take long once it is officially released.

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
The customization alone is enough to get me to jailbreak (Winterboard themes and the like).

The exclusive apps that offer amazing functionality is enough to get me to jailbreak (dTunes is a perfect example).

The ability to layout my device how I see fit is enough to get me to jailbreak (Categories and Stack FTW!)

But the kicker, the absolute non-negotiable feature I want is to be able to access the file system. Until Apple allows me to SSH into my device, access a mobile Terminal, or gives me a File Viewer, my handset will always be jailbroken.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice