I changed "alpine" password and forgot to what. Is there a way to reset it now?

Thanks.
    03-30-2009 11:20 PM
    I'm thinking there isn't away to do this.

You might have to restore it.
    03-31-2009 11:36 AM
    i dont know how to change it back, but, how did you change it in the first place?

i cant seem to figure it out.
    thanks
    04-01-2009 11:57 AM
    I haven't tried it, but I would think that you could ssh into the phone and issue passwd.
    04-02-2009 05:44 PM
    I haven't tried it, but I would think that you could ssh into the phone and issue passwd.
    There is an option to change a password and I think I did so. It's been a while ago.

How sould you "issue passwd"?
    04-06-2009 01:23 PM
    If you have to ask, then you probably haven't changed what you think you changed. alpine is the default password of the root account on your phone. Once you're jailbroken you can ssh into the phone from your computer, connect as root (using this password) and change stuff. Mobile Terminal is a (jailbroken) application that allows you to do the same thing.
    04-06-2009 03:17 PM
    If you have to ask, then you probably haven't changed what you think you changed. alpine is the default password of the root account on your phone. Once you're jailbroken you can ssh into the phone from your computer, connect as root (using this password) and change stuff. Mobile Terminal is a (jailbroken) application that allows you to do the same thing.
    I know that and I did that.

The point is that if password was changed and I forgot it. is there a way to reset it without reinstall?

thanks.
    04-07-2009 04:02 PM
    I know that and I did that.

The point is that if password was changed and I forgot it. is there a way to reset it without reinstall?

thanks.
    Did you change the user password or the root password?

For the dude that asked how to change the root password (and you really should):

1) Download Mobile Terminal from Cydia (it's a great app to have)
    2) Start up Mobile Terminal
    3) Type in "su root" minus the quotation marks
    4) It will ask for the current password, which is by default "alpine", again minus the quotes
    5) Type in "passwd", still no quotes
    6) Now you have to type in what you want your new password to be. Bear in mind that this text will not appear on screen, nor will any other character. Also bear in mind that this is case sensitive.
    7) You will have to enter in your password a second time to confirm.

You have now changed your root password. Do try and remember it.
    04-09-2009 08:48 PM
    Thanks a lot! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for.
    04-15-2009 12:06 PM
    Bumping this to the top! With all the issues circulating with people hacking into others who have SSH on, it's very important to change the root pw on your jailbroken iPhone to prevent this. I just posted a tutorial to this on my site but above, jellmoo described the same easy way I did in order to accomplish this.

This can protect your from several hacking vulnerabilities if you're jailbroken, and it only takes about 20 seconds of your time!
    11-03-2009 05:25 PM
    Bumping this to the top! With all the issues circulating with people hacking into others who have SSH on, it's very important to change the root pw on your jailbroken iPhone to prevent this. I just posted a tutorial to this on my site but above, jellmoo described the same easy way I did in order to accomplish this.

This can protect your from several hacking vulnerabilities if you're jailbroken, and it only takes about 20 seconds of your time!
    you seem to know a lot about the phone....can i ask you something????

is there a way to have a password on the iphone instead of the passcode with the numbers??

i had a blackberry before the iphone and i really miss the password....

thanks
    11-03-2009 05:37 PM

i agreeeeeee especially after that "WARNING HACK" by the dutch guy
    11-03-2009 05:45 PM
    you seem to know a lot about the phone....can i ask you something????

is there a way to have a password on the iphone instead of the passcode with the numbers??

i had a blackberry before the iphone and i really miss the password....

thanks
    have u tried "iProtect" , "Lockdown" , or "mAdvLock"...u can get these on Cydia or Rock
    11-03-2009 05:49 PM
    have u tried "iProtect" , "Lockdown" , or "mAdvLock"...u can get these on Cydia or Rock
    Agreed, try one of these. I wish Apple allowed you to have more than a 4 digit passcode as well.

I'd say use one of the above, and as with anything, submit a feedback request to Apple requesting this feature.

Apple's feedback form can be found here,

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

in the dropdown menu, select enhancement request. I've seen several people submit feedback requests to Apple and what do you know, it pops up in a firmware update! They really do read them and do what they can.
    11-03-2009 06:10 PM
    So really there's no way to just have a password on the lockscreen..yeah i think i need to complain to apple about it
    11-03-2009 08:40 PM
    I'm trying to do this, but I can't get Mobile Terminal to work. I've tried uninstalling it and installing it a few times and it quits after I open it.
    11-03-2009 09:20 PM
    you can also change the PW using something like PuTTy for the PC and SSH'ng to the phone. The command to change the PW is the same.
    11-03-2009 10:02 PM
    Did you change the user password or the root password?

For the dude that asked how to change the root password (and you really should):

1) Download Mobile Terminal from Cydia (it's a great app to have)
    2) Start up Mobile Terminal
    3) Type in "su root" minus the quotation marks
    4) It will ask for the current password, which is by default "alpine", again minus the quotes
    5) Type in "passwd", still no quotes
    6) Now you have to type in what you want your new password to be. Bear in mind that this text will not appear on screen, nor will any other character. Also bear in mind that this is case sensitive.
    7) You will have to enter in your password a second time to confirm.

You have now changed your root password. Do try and remember it.
    Did it and it works GREAT! Thanks!
    11-03-2009 10:20 PM
    I'm trying to do this, but I can't get Mobile Terminal to work. I've tried uninstalling it and installing it a few times and it quits after I open it.
    There must be some kind of electrical disturbance around me. I can not get Mobile Terminal to work. At all. And I can not get Google Calendar Sync to work. At all. That's on my Windows 7 laptop. Just can not get these two simple little programs to do. Anything. At. All.
    11-04-2009 08:19 AM
    Okay, so now i will try CyberDuck to SSH into my iPhone. Do I try the wifi IP address to the data IP address? I have tried both but still can't get in.
    11-04-2009 08:22 AM
    Okay, so now i will try CyberDuck to SSH into my iPhone. Do I try the wifi IP address to the data IP address? I have tried both but still can't get in.
    To find the IP you use, go to settings --> wifi ---> click the info arrow for whatever wifi network you are connected to, and under the DHCP tab, the first thing you will see is IP Address, that's the IP you want to use.

If you're using a mac, fugu is an awesome free SSH client.
    11-04-2009 12:39 PM
    Don't forget it's good to not only change the "root" password but also the "mobile" password. They are both set to alpine by default.
    11-04-2009 02:58 PM
    I keep trying Fugu but get permssions denied errors... I sign is as root... it's port 22 right?
    11-04-2009 04:24 PM
    ^Correct......
    11-04-2009 05:05 PM
    I keep trying Fugu but get permssions denied errors... I sign is as root... it's port 22 right?
    root, port 22, password is alpine

You may have to check your wireless router isn't blocking wireless devices from communicating. I ran into this problem recently ( and wanted to throw my router across the room when I figured out the problem ) lol.
    11-04-2009 05:17 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD