ALPINE password change

kenkenken

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
how?

i dont know how to change it back, but, how did you change it in the first place?

i cant seem to figure it out.
thanks

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
If you have to ask, then you probably haven't changed what you think you changed. :) alpine is the default password of the root account on your phone. Once you're jailbroken you can ssh into the phone from your computer, connect as root (using this password) and change stuff. Mobile Terminal is a (jailbroken) application that allows you to do the same thing.

TheGuest

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
If you have to ask, then you probably haven't changed what you think you changed. :) alpine is the default password of the root account on your phone. Once you're jailbroken you can ssh into the phone from your computer, connect as root (using this password) and change stuff. Mobile Terminal is a (jailbroken) application that allows you to do the same thing.

I know that and I did that.

The point is that if password was changed and I forgot it. is there a way to reset it without reinstall?

thanks.

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I know that and I did that.

The point is that if password was changed and I forgot it. is there a way to reset it without reinstall?

thanks.

Did you change the user password or the root password?

For the dude that asked how to change the root password (and you really should):

1) Download Mobile Terminal from Cydia (it's a great app to have)
2) Start up Mobile Terminal
3) Type in "su root" minus the quotation marks
4) It will ask for the current password, which is by default "alpine", again minus the quotes
5) Type in "passwd", still no quotes
6) Now you have to type in what you want your new password to be. Bear in mind that this text will not appear on screen, nor will any other character. Also bear in mind that this is case sensitive.
7) You will have to enter in your password a second time to confirm.

You have now changed your root password. Do try and remember it. ;)

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Bumping this to the top! With all the issues circulating with people hacking into others who have SSH on, it's very important to change the root pw on your jailbroken iPhone to prevent this. I just posted a tutorial to this on my site but above, jellmoo described the same easy way I did in order to accomplish this.

This can protect your from several hacking vulnerabilities if you're jailbroken, and it only takes about 20 seconds of your time!

zayragiselle

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Bumping this to the top! With all the issues circulating with people hacking into others who have SSH on, it's very important to change the root pw on your jailbroken iPhone to prevent this. I just posted a tutorial to this on my site but above, jellmoo described the same easy way I did in order to accomplish this.

This can protect your from several hacking vulnerabilities if you're jailbroken, and it only takes about 20 seconds of your time!

you seem to know a lot about the phone....can i ask you something????

is there a way to have a password on the iphone instead of the passcode with the numbers??

i had a blackberry before the iphone and i really miss the password....

thanks

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site

i agreeeeeee especially after that "WARNING HACK" by the dutch guy

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
you seem to know a lot about the phone....can i ask you something????

is there a way to have a password on the iphone instead of the passcode with the numbers??

i had a blackberry before the iphone and i really miss the password....

thanks

have u tried "iProtect" , "Lockdown" , or "mAdvLock"...u can get these on Cydia or Rock

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
have u tried "iProtect" , "Lockdown" , or "mAdvLock"...u can get these on Cydia or Rock

Agreed, try one of these. I wish Apple allowed you to have more than a 4 digit passcode as well.

I'd say use one of the above, and as with anything, submit a feedback request to Apple requesting this feature.

Apple's feedback form can be found here,

Apple - iPhone - Feedback

in the dropdown menu, select enhancement request. I've seen several people submit feedback requests to Apple and what do you know, it pops up in a firmware update! They really do read them and do what they can. :)

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to do this, but I can't get Mobile Terminal to work. I've tried uninstalling it and installing it a few times and it quits after I open it.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
you can also change the PW using something like PuTTy for the PC and SSH'ng to the phone. The command to change the PW is the same.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Did you change the user password or the root password?

For the dude that asked how to change the root password (and you really should):

1) Download Mobile Terminal from Cydia (it's a great app to have)
2) Start up Mobile Terminal
3) Type in "su root" minus the quotation marks
4) It will ask for the current password, which is by default "alpine", again minus the quotes
5) Type in "passwd", still no quotes
6) Now you have to type in what you want your new password to be. Bear in mind that this text will not appear on screen, nor will any other character. Also bear in mind that this is case sensitive.
7) You will have to enter in your password a second time to confirm.

You have now changed your root password. Do try and remember it. ;)

Did it and it works GREAT! Thanks!

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to do this, but I can't get Mobile Terminal to work. I've tried uninstalling it and installing it a few times and it quits after I open it.

There must be some kind of electrical disturbance around me. I can not get Mobile Terminal to work. At all. And I can not get Google Calendar Sync to work. At all. That's on my Windows 7 laptop. Just can not get these two simple little programs to do. Anything. At. All.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so now i will try CyberDuck to SSH into my iPhone. Do I try the wifi IP address to the data IP address? I have tried both but still can't get in.