more newbie jb questions

whitewuf

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I have a locked iphone 3G that comes with version 2.2.1. I already know that if i jailbreak it now, i will not be able to unlock the phone to be able to use other carriers. So, my questions are:

1. If i jailbreak it now, will i be able to un-jailbreak in the future to restore to stock conditions?

2. Will the apple store be able to tell if the phone has been jailbroken before?

3. Which would be wiser? jailbreak now, and restore later so that i can unlock the phone in future (hopefully with v3.0 someday)?

4. What do everyone else do if they have a locked iphone, and have to travel to another country for a meeting/visit?

Finallly, some advices please?

Iphone 3G v 2.2.1 firmware 02.30.03 (stock), how should i go about to jailbreak it and unlock it.

Thank you all in advance......

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I have a locked iphone 3G that comes with version 2.2.1. I already know that if i jailbreak it now, i will not be able to unlock the phone to be able to use other carriers. So, my questions are:

1. If i jailbreak it now, will i be able to un-jailbreak in the future to restore to stock conditions?

Yep, just hit restore in iTunes and set up as a new phone.

2. Will the apple store be able to tell if the phone has been jailbroken before?

If they tried really hard, they might, but not with the level of inspection they are gonna give it. It would most likely take some VERY intensive looking to find any traces after restoring and setting up as a new phone.

3. Which would be wiser? jailbreak now, and restore later so that i can unlock the phone in future (hopefully with v3.0 someday)?

If an unlock comes out for 2.2.1 or 3.0 you can easily restore and re-jailbreak, there is no guarantee either will happen. Right now the only way to unlock 2.2.1 is to use a hardware option.

4. What do everyone else do if they have a locked iphone, and have to travel to another country for a meeting/visit?

Carry another phone??

Finallly, some advices please?

Iphone 3G v 2.2.1 firmware 02.30.03 (stock), how should i go about to jailbreak it and unlock it.

Thank you all in advance......

If it's already at 2.2.1 your only unlock option is a hardware sim unlocker, do a search you'll find one, seems like they cost about 40 bucks. As for jailbreaking, just read the guides in these threads (Jailbreak Faq *Updated 3/9/09* and Jailbreak/Unlock your iPhone ~ Official TiPb how-to guides inside!).

whitewuf

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
"If an unlock comes out for 2.2.1 or 3.0 you can easily restore and re-jailbreak, there is no guarantee either will happen. Right now the only way to unlock 2.2.1 is to use a hardware option."

what do u mean by hardware option? I cant use Pwnage 2.2.5 tool to jailbreak it?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Unlock and jailbreak are two different things. You can jailbreak 2.2.1 you cannot unlock via yellowsnw with your current baseband. You can unlock with a sim unlocker.

whitewuf

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
ok, i think i managed to jailbreak my iphone. I have Cydia and Installer in the menu, but i can't seem to do anything with it. Did i do anything wrong?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You will have to be more specific. I only access cydia while connected via wifi, I don't have 3G in my area so I don't know if it will work on 3G or not, but assume it will, and I wouldn't want to try and access it on edge. Connect to wifi and tap the cydia icon, when it asks (you will probably need to upgrade cydia) upgrade (I do the full upgrade), after you respring, tap it again, when it asks select user (graphical interface only). from there you can look around and get what you want.

whitewuf

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
It's a good day today. I woke up this morning, and connected to wifi in my home, and everthing works.... yay! Just wondering, (off-topic), anyone know of any software where u can put you schedules for the week, things to do, etc etc as the main page instead of all these icons? and also, can we use multiple applications at the same time? i know hitting the Home button quits the application we're using...

Big D-Lux

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok, last week I jailbroke my iphone 3g. Now I learned obviously that there is 3.0 os coming out next week. So how do i get the 3.0 when it realeases next week when my phone is jailbroken? What steps do I need to take?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, last week I jailbroke my iphone 3g. Now I learned obviously that there is 3.0 os coming out next week. So how do i get the 3.0 when it realeases next week when my phone is jailbroken? What steps do I need to take?

No steps you can just update. :D