anyone successfully unlock in iPhone OS 3.0?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Ok, here's the deal. I have an original AT&T iPhone that has been unused with a deactivated SIM for 6 months ever since I upgraded to the 3G. I have a T-Mobile prepay SIM in a feature phone I would like to use in it, and I also want to install the iPhone OS 3.0 Beta for developement reasons. I have a dev account and the device is registered, so no issues there.

I can unlock no problem in 2.2.1 using QuickPwn.
I can either upgrade or restore to 3.0 via iTunes.
But doing so I always lose my unlock. It forces me to put in my AT&T SIM to activate and then gives me the different SIM warning if I switch it to T-Mobile.
I can also downgrade back to 2.2.1 (I've done this back and forth several times today) and get my unlock back.

But without the unlock, I can't test phone features in 3.0, so it's kind of lame. I'm obviously not willing to officially activate it- I already have an iPhone 3G line that's expensive enough as it is.

Anyone have any experience with unlocking and 3.0? I've read some reports on the 'net saying that either (a) the initial restore to 3.0 done via xCode leaves the unlock intact, or (b) that you then need to downgrade via restore (not upgrade) to 2x and then unlock then upgrade (not restore) to 3.0 and it leaves the unlock. Neither way works for me.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the original EDGE iPhone, not the 3G, so baseband isn't an issue (as it is with the 3G).

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Realized that after I responded, reason why i deleted it. I have not paid much attention to the edge iPhones so I have heard nothing about unlocking them.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Update! I finally got my unlock working. I got inspired after reading a couple posts (sorry I can't link them due to low post count).

Note: these posts talk about how to install and activate an original iPhone without having your phone's UDID registered as a development device via a valid Apple iPhone developer account. I DO have a registered device, so this is not what I was after- I simply wanted a way of preserving my unlock while updating to OS 3.0. But I believe the difference for me was (1) restoring to 2.0.2 not 2.2.1, and (2) using QuickPwn RC2 not latest QuickPwn.

Anyway, here's what I did (on Windows XP PC with iTunes 8.1):

1. Shift + Restore from iTunes and restore (not update) to firmware 2.0.2. Do not restore from a backup. Unplug after Restore before iTunes can try to activate it.

2. Insert T-Mobile SIM card and run QuickPwn RC2, selecting only the unlock option but otherwise following all steps. This gives me an unlocked iPhone running 2.0.2

3. Disconnect PC from internet.

4. Shift + Update from iTunes to update (not restore) to new OS 3.0 beta firmware 2 (released 3/31/09). The 1st time I tried this I got error 1611, but I used (latest) QuickPwn to bring the phone back to life (still running 2.0.2) and tried again, and the 2nd time it worked. This gave me an unlocked iPhone running new 3.0 Beta 2.

I don't know whether step 3 is necessary, nor do I know if the Beta 2 makes any difference from Beta 1. All I know is that this worked for me.

I've read reports that restoring to 2.2.1, unlocking with latest QuickPwn, and then restoring to 3.0 preserves your unlock when all performed from a Mac but I've got the 10.5.6 DFU mode bug and couldn't be bothered to hack my USB drivers to bypass it to try all this on the Mac, so I wanted something that would work from PC. My impression is that on the PC side, restoring to 2.0.2 and using QuickPwn RC2 are what makes the difference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods