Last minutes questions,, getting ready to take the plunge!!!

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
OK, I've been debating on doing the jailbreak for months, I finally downloaded everything I need to get started, and am ready to pull the trigger.
I just have a couple last minute questions before I go for it..

1. After jailbreaking, iTunes will work just like it always has before, correct? If I want to add pictures, ringtones, etc. I just sync as normal? Nothing changes? And it will back up / sync everything, all the original apps, and the jailbreak apps also?

2. If something goes wrong during my jailbreak install, I know I just restore, Will I be able to restore to exactly how it was before I started the jailbreak install. All apps / songs/ info/ etc.?? (restore from latest backup?)

3. Once I get jailbroken, and everything is working fine, If I sync to iTunes for a few months, and then something goes bad to where I need to go back to original / unjailbroken, I assume THEN I will have to go back to original factory settings, and loose all my info? When you restore after jailbreaking, you can only just restore, but not from the latest backup, correct? (because I assume if you restore from the latest backup, it will just put all of your jailbreak stuff right back onto the phone again?)

4. Any reasons at this point why I should / shouldn't do this?? LOL
I have been nervous as hell about doing it, afraid something will go wrong, and brick my phone, still kinda double guessing myself this morning about doing it, but I see so many cool things that can be done with jailbraking, and I really want to get in on all of it!!:rolleyes:

I guess I just need a little push to get going on this today, been sitting here with my finger on the Pwnage folder for an hour, debating on if I should or shouldn't click it. LOL

P.S. I have the latest version of the firmware, and iTunes, and I'm planning on following the directions in this thread. Correct! ? - http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/09/29/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-21-windows-edition/

Last edited:

keithp318

Feb 12, 2009
Visit site
yeah same here i really want to but im not sure... im only 13 but this kid i know has jailbroken an iphone so i think i can do it im way smarter at things like that. is it really as easy as it looks on youtube?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
OK, I've been debating on doing the jailbreak for months, I finally downloaded everything I need to get started, and am ready to pull the trigger.
I just have a couple last minute questions before I go for it..

1. After jailbreaking, iTunes will work just like it always has before, correct? If I want to add pictures, ringtones, etc. I just sync as normal? Nothing changes? And it will back up / sync everything, all the original apps, and the jailbreak apps also?

Yep, just like before your were jailbroken.

2. If something goes wrong during my jailbreak install, I know I just restore, Will I be able to restore to exactly how it was before I started the jailbreak install. All apps / songs/ info/ etc.?? (restore from latest backup?)

Yep, but if you have problems, you may want to retry after a restore, sometimes when your loaded up with apps, it can cause issues with the jailbreak, sometimes it doesn't.

3. Once I get jailbroken, and everything is working fine, If I sync to iTunes for a few months, and then something goes bad to where I need to go back to original / unjailbroken, I assume THEN I will have to go back to original factory settings, and loose all my info? When you restore after jailbreaking, you can only just restore, but not from the latest backup, correct? (because I assume if you restore from the latest backup, it will just put all of your jailbreak stuff right back onto the phone again?)

You can restore the the back up you did before you jailbroke but not the ones you did after.

4. Any reasons at this point why I should / shouldn't do this?? LOL
I have been nervous as hell about doing it, afraid something will go wrong, and brick my phone, still kinda double guessing myself this morning about doing it, but I see so many cool things that can be done with jailbraking, and I really want to get in on all of it!!:rolleyes:

There is some lag after you jailbreak, for most it's not too bad. Certainly not bad enough for me to go back to stock. I think you need to look at what it is you want that is available for JB that isn't available for stock, and decide if it's worth it, if you just want to do it to do it.....maybe you shouldn't.

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I did it!! LOL I'm jailbroke. So far I really like it, everything went smooth, I have cycorder, and winterboard on so far, I already love just the stock winterboard mods you can do.
I also got intelliscreen, I have been anting an app like this since I bought the iphone. My palm showed all my upcoming stuff, and I loved that, but the iphone wouldn't. SO I am happy so far.

Now I'm just trying to dig thru all the themes, to find one I like, and explore all else that is out there.

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
A couple more questions please??

So now that I am jailbroken, as long as I don't sync to iTunes, I will be able to restore to the original state it was right before I jailbroke. correct?
But as soon as I sync the first time, there is no going back??

Also, when I finally do hook it up to sync the first time, will it recognise my phone from before? or will iTunes just have me set it up as a new phone again?

Sorry if these are ignorant questions, I read thru alot of the post, and just needed some clarification.

Any info would be appreciated.

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
iTunes works as normal. You can sync anything you want still. Jailbreaking ADDS features not take them away. If you want go back to stock you just download normal 2.2.1 firmware and restore using that.

When you sync again after a jailbreak, it is recommended you set your phone up as a new phone to avoid problems. Doing so just resets Settings you had before. You can still sync the same music/apps

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73