Problems jailbreaking iPhone 3G 2.2.1

Fryson

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I've posted this on like 4 different forums and no one has been able to figure this out. I have been trying to jailbreak my iPhone for about the last week, I am on a PC and have .NET framework 3.5.

I download quickpwn and the firmware and follow the directions. Everything goes as expected but once quickpwn is done and it goes through all the flashing and what not, my iphone reboots and will not boot back up, it just sits at the apple logo in an endless reboot loop. It connects and disconnects from my PC, vibrates twice, all that crap. So far I have gone through this about 3 times. Does my phone need to be at a clean restore before I do this? Is there something I'm missing here? All the instructions seem straight forward, and I don't have to do all that much, quickpwn does it all. But it does the same exact thing everytime I try, it goes through everything, but simply will not boot up.

I appreciate the help.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Did your iPhone have the 2.2.1 firmware installed prior to you attempting a jailbreak? Did you use the right firmware image with Quickpwn (iPhone1,2_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw)? Did you get both of these tools from "good" sources?

Since this is my first post, the website won't let me post links.... :-(

But if you google jailbreak official blog, the first hit should be Dev-Team Blog, the official jailbreak website. On the left, under "Software", you'll see an "Official Torrents" link. This is the official place to download Quickpwn.

On the right, you'll see "iCommunity" under "Trusted Info". This is a good source to find the correct firmware image for use with Quickpwn.

I used the files from those sources, and the guide from here, to jailbreak 2 G3s so far, and everything went perfect. If you start from a clean 2.2.1, non-jailbroken firmware, everything should go fine for you.

Hope this helps, touch back either way though.

Fryson

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I used the correct firmware and quickpwn, and yes my iphone was already on the official 2.2.1 firmware.

I've never tried to jailbreak it from a factory new state though, so maybe I'll try that.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks for the reply. I used the correct firmware and quickpwn, and yes my iphone was already on the official 2.2.1 firmware.

I've never tried to jailbreak it from a factory new state though, so maybe I'll try that.

You should always jailbreak on a fresh iPhone.

hotrodpirate

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Oh, well maybe that's what I've been doing wrong, haha.

Thanks.

Edit: Well them seems to have done the trick, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

So it worked for you even though you have 2.2.1? Thats good news. Ive decided to jailbreak but thought i was screwed since i already had the latest software from apple. Did you just use i tunes to set back to factory default then jailbreak it? Im looking for any threads to see if we who have 2.2.1 have to do a different order of procedures

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreak on 2.2.1 is pretty straight forward... the only real complication is if you have an older firmware and want to upgrade to 2.2.1 while keeping the phone unlocked.

Just follow the "How to: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2.1 - Windows PC QuickPWN Edition" guide that's posted on this website.

If at any time something goes wrong, you can always just go back into iTunes and hit the restore button. Just make sure you've done a resent sync, backing up all of your phone's data, prior to doing the Jailbreak... that way if you have to do a restore, you'll be returned to exactly where you started.

hotrodpirate

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreak on 2.2.1 is pretty straight forward... the only real complication is if you have an older firmware and want to upgrade to 2.2.1 while keeping the phone unlocked.

Just follow the "How to: Jailbreak iPhone 3G 2.2.1 - Windows PC QuickPWN Edition" guide that's posted on this website.

If at any time something goes wrong, you can always just go back into iTunes and hit the restore button. Just make sure you've done a resent sync, backing up all of your phone's data, prior to doing the Jailbreak... that way if you have to do a restore, you'll be returned to exactly where you started.

ok thanx a lot guys, im gunna take the plunge, i was just a little nervous since it seemed everone else was more computer literate than me, while i was still trying to figure out what Cydia, winterboard etc was

robdam1001

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
OP, I went through the same issues you are experiencing when I first went JB. Just make sure that after you "restore the phone as new" that you immediately JB BEFORE you sync to itunes.

hotrodpirate

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
well i will say the 2.2.1 jailbreak using windows works so far. Camera works, calls working, a little glitchy i may just need a restart. Easier than i thought.
Sorry dont want to threadjack but does anyone have a link to help explain how and when to use Cydia and the new installer icon?(basically what they do) Installer looks like the app store.... are we still safe to download from both or just the new one?

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Dowload from Cydia only if you can. Installer is dated and is not as stable as Cydia for installs. Cydia is basically the where you get jailbroken apps from (themes, apps, etc). This site below will help you choose your first few apps you should install to see the difference jailbreaking really makes:
Jailbreak iPhone | iPhone News, Help and Guides

The list there is basically the must-have apps for jailbroken iPhones.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Installer and Cydia both do the same thing, they are alternate places to install iPhone apps, except they are apps the cannot be found in the App Store. They are not "cracked" or pirated apps, they are just apps that the App Store refuses to make available, or the app developer chooses to not sell through there.

Basically, the main reason someone jailbreaks an iPhone is to have the ability to install apps or games from a source other than just the App Store.

It's still safe to install apps from the App Store.

hotrodpirate

Jan 31, 2009
Visit site
Installer and Cydia both do the same thing, they are alternate places to install iPhone apps, except they are apps the cannot be found in the App Store. They are not "cracked" or pirated apps, they are just apps that the App Store refuses to make available, or the app developer chooses to not sell through there.

Basically, the main reason someone jailbreaks an iPhone is to have the ability to install apps or games from a source other than just the App Store.

It's still safe to install apps from the App Store.

Thanx for the help. Ive found alot of usefull tools in Cydia so far

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711