how to go from 2.0.2 to 2.2.1 unlocked?

Dec 6, 2008
Visit site
I want to jailbreak and unlock my iphone 3g but not sure what to do. I have fw 2.0.2/baseband 02.08.01. Can I just use the Preserving Baseband guide on the site or do I need to do something before that? Some sites say in order to use yellowsn0w, you have to be on baseband 02.28.00, is this true cuz mine is 02.08.01. I wish I could just update to 2.2 via itunes but 2.2.1 is out now. I'm not sure what steps I need to take in order to have the latest fw 2.2.1 installed and still be able to use yellowsn0w. Any help would be great, thanks.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Are you using a Mac or Windows machine? If you use a Windows machine, you need to find a custom firmware and restore it. If you are using a Mac, then use Pwnage Tool.

Dec 6, 2008
Visit site
I will be using pwnage tool on mac. So my current baseband 02.08.01 will work with yellowsn0w or does it have to be 02.28.00? Thanks jamesus for your help.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
As long as it is not 2.30, I think it will be ok. Might want to dig around the dev teams blog for more info.

Dec 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I checked out dev team blog and read that yellowsn0w only works on baseband 02.28.00. I think its kinda confusing since the guides on this site say you have to be on 2.2 or below. So now how do I update to 2.2? I need to do that before I jailbreak/unlock.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks for the tip. I checked out dev team blog and read that yellowsn0w only works on baseband 02.28.00. I think its kinda confusing since the guides on this site say you have to be on 2.2 or below. So now how do I update to 2.2? I need to do that before I jailbreak/unlock.

What the guides say on this site are 100% correct. You MUST be on 2.2 or below. If you are on 2.2.1 you will not be able to unlock your phone. Basebands on 2.2 or below are unlockable.

And to clarify what I just said here is a quote from the Dev Teams blog:

Yellowsn0w will NOT work with the baseband version (02.30.03) that is present in the recent 2.2.1 update. If you want to use Yellownsn0w you will need to create and restore using a custom .ipsw that will allow you to update safely to 2.2.1 without applying the 02.30.03 baseband update. You?ll then have a 3G iPhone running 2.2.1 with an older baseband version that is still vulnerable to yellowsn0w, following these steps ensures that yellowsn0w will still operate.

Last edited:

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, if you need a copy of the 2.2 firmware its available here www.marctew.co.uk/Archive.zip along with Quickpwn for Mac & Windows. Using this you can update through iTunes. When you click update, make sure you hold the Option key (if its mac) and i think its ALT for windows.

From what people have said, I think this will let you then unlock :)

Hope this helps.

Dec 6, 2008
Visit site
What the guides say on this site are 100% correct. You MUST be on 2.2 or below. If you are on 2.2.1 you will not be able to unlock your phone. Basebands on 2.2 or below are unlockable.

And to clarify what I just said here is a quote from the Dev Teams blog:

Yellowsn0w will NOT work with the baseband version (02.30.03) that is present in the recent 2.2.1 update. If you want to use Yellownsn0w you will need to create and restore using a custom .ipsw that will allow you to update safely to 2.2.1 without applying the 02.30.03 baseband update. You?ll then have a 3G iPhone running 2.2.1 with an older baseband version that is still vulnerable to yellowsn0w, following these steps ensures that yellowsn0w will still operate.

Hmm Bad Ash thats interesting cuz I read on the dev team blog:
The unlock works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00.
The unlock will silently quit on anything other than baseband 02.28.00. It detects the wrong version and just quits to avoid any damage.
This is from the Yellowsn0w Release Info page on the dev team blog. So please explain this because I am unsure what to believe.

And can someone confirm what appcritical said is true. Is that link safe?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
What you posted is old information. At first that's the way it was. Read the very first post on their site.

Dec 6, 2008
Visit site
Okay thanks Bad Ash. So just to clarify, I can use the latest Preserving Baseband guide on this site and I should be fine? One more thing. Could I create the custom fw with Pwnage Tool on my macbook and then put it on a flash drive and then jailbreak with my pc?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro