Let's say for Sh!ts and Giggles I don't want my phone jailbroken anymore and I want to go back to how I originally had it. I know you can restore through iTunes, but what does that restore actually do? Does it put the phone back to the way it was when I originally purchased the phone through ATT ? No apps, contacts, settings , etc ? I would have to input all that over again?

Or does it still at least save my contacts and settings? That's the biggest thing I'm worried about, Losing all my settings and contact information.
    When your iPhone does it's "backup" download....doesn't it save and retain all that information?
    03-03-2009 02:02 PM
    Your contacts, etc. can be saved depending on how you have them synced. A full restore will reset the iPhone to the factory settings.

When restoring, it is recommended you do not restore from a backup.
    03-03-2009 02:16 PM
    Your contacts, etc. can be saved depending on how you have them synced. A full restore will reset the iPhone to the factory settings.

When restoring, it is recommended you do not restore from a backup.
    What do you mean how you have them synced? Would you be able to restore & than backup?
    03-03-2009 02:24 PM
    Best bet is to sync your contacts with Outlook or an online service. Restoring via backup after a jailbreak will restore your contacts, but I have experienced problems with the apps, etc when doing this.
    03-03-2009 02:35 PM
    I also heard restoring via backup after a jailbreak is not safe. What do you think about RESTORING than BACKING UP?
    03-03-2009 02:53 PM
    Restoring a backup that is jailbroken is not recommended.

Restoring a backup that is not jailbroken should be OK.
    03-03-2009 02:56 PM
    Do you recomend syncing a jailbroken phone to the itunes your last back up was saved in?
    03-03-2009 03:03 PM
    Personally I never restore from a backup. I start fresh every time I upgrade.
    03-03-2009 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD