If I am using AT&T, is there any reason to jailbreak?

BKSinAZ

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
Just curious if there is any advantage to jailbreaking my iphone if I already have a contract with AT&T.

If so, what would be some of the advantages?

jhoffman1986

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things. If you're sticking with ATT (as am I), then it makes no sense to unlock your phone (allow you to use it on a different company's network). Jailbreaking, which is what I've done and love, is completely different.

If you jailbreak, you can make it so you can download games that aren't available in the app store, customize your iphone background and ringtones more effectively, and load games and applications you can download from a variety of internet sites (not going to post those here, because I'm fairly certain that would break forum rules, but it entails downloading ipa files). In any case, Jailbreaking truly unlocks your iphone's potential, and I highly recommend it.

BKSinAZ

Feb 13, 2009
Visit site
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things. If you're sticking with ATT (as am I), then it makes no sense to unlock your phone (allow you to use it on a different company's network). Jailbreaking, which is what I've done and love, is completely different.

If you jailbreak, you can make it so you can download games that aren't available in the app store, customize your iphone background and ringtones more effectively, and load games and applications you can download from a variety of internet sites (not going to post those here, because I'm fairly certain that would break forum rules, but it entails downloading ipa files). In any case, Jailbreaking truly unlocks your iphone's potential, and I highly recommend it.

thanks for the reply. I know nothing about jailbreaking but I do know that apple just updated my phone (via itunes). Does my current phone software version matter? What other things should I check BEFORE jailbreaking? I plan to stay with AT&T. Where is best to download software to jailbreak my phone? Is there a way to tell if my phone is a 2G or 3G?

Last edited:

Geaux

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
I say do some research on this forum before doing anything with your phone. Especially if you don't know the difference between 3g and the first iPhone. There is a sticky in this forum that explains everything you need to know. Good luck and learn your phone before doing anything to it.

WJSS

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
When jailbreaking, does it wipe the phone? Do I lose all my paid apps? What about email and contacts? I'm using GoogleSync now; would I have to reconfigure it?

Does it still play nice with iTunes and the App Store?

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
It won't delete anything, and yes, you can still sync with iTunes and download from the app store. Bear in mind, Apple is now calling jailbreaking illegal (whether it is or not is debatable), and it may very well void your warranty. That being said, jailbreaking will open up your phone to do what it is capable of doing, such as video recording, turn by turn gps, mms, ringtone and background customization, theme changes, etc. Like everyone said, search this forum and read everything you can find on jailbreaking before making the decision.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2