Hey guys,

Could really do with your help here!!!
    Have MAJORLY messed up, I stupidly without thinking installed the 2.2.1 update, and now my iphone has lost all it's apps that I had put into categories.

I tried jailbreaking the phone again but of course I had put all the installer apps into categories, where they remained...hidden somewhere on my phone.

I didn't think about this at the time so put my phone back into DFU mode and tried installing 2.2.0 instead. It then wouldn't let me use any of my IPSW files so I had to do a normal restore, bring iPhone back into jail!!!

Help me!!!
    02-04-2009 09:22 AM
    Nothing you can do but wipe the phone to as new and start over. That is your only option.
    02-04-2009 10:27 AM
    So does this mean I need to buy all my apps again? I don't think I could face doing that :-S

At the moment I have been re-booting my phone as a back-up from last sync. Do I need to load it as a new iPhone to do this?

If I load it up as a new phone, can I still upload the apps that I have purchased in the app store?
    Thanks for your help :-)
    02-04-2009 10:31 AM
    Wait - you can get your app store apps back... those are stored in your iTunes account. I was referring to jailbroken apps.
    02-04-2009 10:32 AM
    Would it be better if I used this? Found it in another forum...

Had the same problem and found this searching the net... Quick easy fix for the catogories problem

"I had the missing Cydia and Installer issue as well.
    What worked for me was to delete the Springboard plist file.
    You can use iPhone Browser
    (iphonebrowser - Google Code)
    to access the root directory of your jailbroken iPhone.
    The file to delete is:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
    After you delete it, reboot and all missing icons will reappe
    02-04-2009 10:36 AM
    Nothing you can do but wipe the phone to as new and start over. That is your only option.
    Props to Reclipse for this:

Had the same problem and found this searching the net... Quick easy fix for the catogories problem

"I had the missing Cydia and Installer issue as well.
    What worked for me was to delete the Springboard plist file.
    You can use iPhone Browser
    (iphonebrowser - Google Code)
    to access the root directory of your jailbroken iPhone.
    The file to delete is:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SpringBoard.plist
    After you delete it, reboot and all missing icons will reappe
    02-04-2009 10:37 AM
    I was under the assumption you wiped your phone out... my fault.
    02-04-2009 10:40 AM
    actually that won't work, it's for windows not mac :-( I am not sure if I can stomach my 3rd restore in a day! Takes HOURS!
    02-04-2009 10:42 AM
    I wiped my phone twice today...at least I thought I had? I went into DFU, did a restore to jailbreak it again after the update and that worked but I thought it hadn't as couldn't see the apps. It wasn't until un-Jailbreaking that I realised my mistake with categories.

So to summarise so I understand, I need to wipe my iPhone and re jailbreak it as a NEW IPHONE rather than a restore? Doing this will get me my appstore apps back? Or have I missed something?
    02-04-2009 10:46 AM
    I wiped my phone twice today...at least I thought I had? I went into DFU, did a restore to jailbreak it again after the update and that worked but I thought it hadn't as couldn't see the apps. It wasn't until un-Jailbreaking that I realised my mistake with categories.

So to summarise so I understand, I need to wipe my iPhone and re jailbreak it as a NEW IPHONE rather than a restore? Doing this will get me my appstore apps back? Or have I missed something?
    Best bet is to set it up as a new phone. You start from scratch, which can be annoyying, but it a fresh slate is the best way to start.
    02-04-2009 11:12 AM

All of your App Store apps are stored in your iTunes account so yes, you can simply sync them back over when ready.
    02-04-2009 11:36 AM
    Thanks for your help, I will post when I have decided I can be bothered to do this and report on success/failure!
    02-04-2009 11:55 AM
    Ok it worked! thanks guys!
    02-04-2009 01:05 PM
    Glad it worked out for you!
    02-04-2009 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD