Hey, just got an iphone a week ago, made the switch after a couple years with a Treo.

I've been doing lots of reading about jailbreaking over the last week and still trying to get up on all the lingo.

I know I'm going to go ahead with it but a little overwhelming yet!

Looking forward to learning more!
    02-02-2009 08:47 PM
    Welcome to the party! Be sure to read up as Bad Ash has put together some stellar guides to jailbreaking.
    02-03-2009 12:01 AM
    Hardest part of jailbreaking the phone is getting over the fear haha. Good Luck!
    02-03-2009 02:46 AM
    Welcome to the forums!
    02-03-2009 10:07 AM
    Hey there! Welcome to TiPb!
    02-03-2009 10:20 AM
    After reading everyting over a couple of times my understanding is as follows, please correct me if I'm wrong:
    -(for the record, ihave iphone 3G which came with 2.2 installed and i use Windows)
    At this point I could maintain my current baseband and jailbreak using pwnage and keep the option of unlocking my phone in the future (pwnage only for mac)
    As a Windows user my only option is to use Quickpwn which will not preserve my baseband, this will jailbreak my phone but may prevent me from ever being able to unlock it.

Sound about right?
    02-03-2009 12:10 PM
    Here is the post from the Dev Team:

Dev-Team Blog
    02-03-2009 12:23 PM
    I don't get it. Here's a quote from the link posted (dev team)
    "GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone running 2.2 firmware and you want to keep your ability to use yellowns0w (or the option to use it in the future) do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool. "

So I read up on Yellowsnow at the site the dev team mentions, iclarified and it says about yellowsnow "Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be on the 02.28.00 baseband(modem firmware)"

So I can't use quickpwn if I want to use yellowsnow (unlock) but I can't install yellowsnow unless my phone is jailbroke??????

Sounds like with no Mac I'm beat!!???
    02-03-2009 09:11 PM
    What exactly are you looking to do?

If you are looking to unlock the phone for use on another carrier, then you will need to use Pwnage Tool, which is only available for a Mac.

If you are looking to simply jailbreak for the use of other third party apps and you do not care about unlocking the phone for use on another carrier, then you can use QUickPwn.
    02-03-2009 09:26 PM
    I was looking to jailbreak but do not want to lose the ability to unlock in case I want to switch carriers down the road.

Is this not possible with windows?
    02-03-2009 10:16 PM
    I think that you can do this with Quickpwn if you have a custom firmware. I have not had time to test this out, but if you google "iphone 2.2.1 custom firmware" there are some links that look like they provide custom firmware.
    02-04-2009 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD