Proper procedure for upgrading jailbroken 2.2 to 2.2.1?

drew173

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
<I am sorry if this has been answered; I looked and couldn't seem to find the specific info>

So when the official Dev Team Windows QuickPWN for 2.2.1 drops, I'd like to know what steps to take to upgrade the firmware on my jailbroken 2.2.

I'd like to be able to keep all of my data (AppStore Apps, App Data, JB Apps and JB Data) if possible.

I've been told that upgrading the firmware through iTunes will delete jailbroken apps.

So do I backup the phone in iTunes, then upgrade the firmware in iTunes, then Jailbreak with 2.2.1 QuickPWN, then restore from backup? Or some other combination of steps?

All the steps I can seem to find seem to be for first-time jailbreakers. My phone was 2.2 when I got it and then I jailbroke. I'd appreciate some advice from folks who have upgraded their JB firmware before.

Thanks very much.

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
The quickpwn for windows was released yesterday, I upgraded an re-jailbroke last night.

I restored and upgraded and set it back up as a new phone, then jailbreak then sync'd my app store apps with itunes, then downloaded my JB apps from cydia. Then set about restoring my settings and organizing my springboard. I lost a few settings from my apps and lost my sms and mms messages on the phone, but it was expected in the way I was doing it.

drew173

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Is that pretty much par for the course?

There is no way to do it and keep the JB apps on without needing to redownload from Cydia?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Well if you jailbreak then restore from back the restore part is going to screw your jailbreak ;) You could restore from back up and save your legit stuff, but the opinions seem to be your best if you restore, set up as new phone then re-jailbreak. iTunes will synch all your appstore apps, you'll lose your settings though. I have seen a couple of apps on cydia that will back up your sms OTA to the web then you could retrieve them later after you jailbreak again. All mine were mostly jokes passed between friends, so not such a great loss.

drew173

Jan 18, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm. I think that is too much work for a 2.2.X update.

I will wait until an update that means something, unless there's a better way anybody knows of.

But thanks for your reply.

ddk997

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
So to wrap this thread up....

There is no way currently to upgrade without losing your apps? Correct?

If so, I Think its probably best to hold off till a worthy update comes around...