I jailbroke my 3g/2.1 iphone last week and now i want to upgrade to the 2.2 firmware and jailbreak that. I'm clear about how to do that but what I'm not clear about is whether i can restore my settings after I jailbreak 2.2. I'd like to retain my text messages, favorites, WiFi Passwords, etc. Is this possible?

I THINK i can restore my backup from iTunes after I jailbreak but I thought i read some where that this can cause problems. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I can always just do a re-sync and get all the important stuff - apps, contacts, etc. But I'd really like to retain all my system settings and other items that get saved in the backup.

Thanks!
    11-28-2008 08:23 PM
    Nevermind. The first time I jailbroke, I tried it from a late 2008 MacBook Pro which doesn't recognize the iPhone when in DFU mode. I didn't realize that at the time so I tried EVERYTHING, including wiping the iPhone and starting over. That's why I didn't have any of my system settings, etc., after my first jailbreak and had to do a full restore. This time around, I did it correctly with QuickPwn and everything is still there. WOW! Way less painless that way.

In case anyone else has the late 2008 MacBook, I understand you can get around this problem by using a USB hub to plug the iphone into, as opposed to plugging it in directly to the computer.
    11-29-2008 10:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD