Either I drank too many cold ones last night (Tech...what happened?!), or I'm just not reading this clearly. But maybe some of you could help clear things up for me. I've read the Dev Teams blog regarding the new jailbreak for 2.2 and I'm confused. I have a jailbroken 3G phone that I used QuickPwn to jailbreak (via the great tutorial TiPb came up with). I would like to jailbreak to 2.2 now that it's out SO, my question:

To jailbreak, if I only want to be able to change my Springboard and download a few emulators all I have to do is restore my phone to 2.2 via iTunes, then use the latest QuickPwn? That's it?

I use AT&T if that helps any. It's the more simple aspects of jailbreaking that appeal to me and not the get your hands dirty/dig deep in the bowels of the iphone modifications that I like. I simply want 2.2 on my phone along with Cydia and if I have to take it, Installer. Thanks for any help you guys could dish out!!!
    11-23-2008 06:31 PM
    Hey AppAttack...that game was very upsetting as I'm a Tech student myself...anyway ha

I pulled this from the iPhone Dev Team's site:
    Locked iPhone 3G
    If you are using your iPhone with one carrier and have no interest in the possibility of an iPhone 3G unlock in the near future then just restore or upgrade to 2.2 using iTunes and use QuickPwn to Jailbreak and add Cydia and Installer.

...I'm assuming you have an locked iPhone 3G (bought it in an apple store or from apple) and only want to continue to jailbreak it.

That should work for you and if you are still a bit iffy about the process go ahead and head over to iPhoneDevTeam's website
    11-23-2008 06:43 PM
    I have a different questions ... I have 2G which is Jailbroken and unlocked to TMO. I know I will not have any problems with the application that I have purchased through AppStore. But I have plenty of apps from Cydia.

My questions is will AptBackup restore those application through Cydia?

Also is there any problem to update iTunes to 8.0.2 on Windows?

Thanks!
    Last edited by vinniet; 11-24-2008 at 08:01 PM.
    11-24-2008 07:49 PM
    You will have to backup the list of the apps. You cannot backup the apps themselves with AptBackup:

"Limitations
    • Does not back up data for jailbroken Apps (see our review for AptBackup below)
    • May take a few moments for program to start up
    AptBackup
    If you have Apps you've downloaded from Cydia, AptBackup by Chris Featherstone will make a list of all of your Cydia Apps then back that list up. When you restore your iPhone and iTunes, run AptBackup's restore in order to find and reinstall all of your packages."--iSmashPhone

I found no problems updating iTunes 8.0.2 before I updated my firmware to 2.2 and then jailbroke my phone using QuickPwn. I also have a 2G iPhone.
    11-24-2008 09:29 PM
    Thanks ... I took a snapshot and wrote down all of my Cydia apps. I read that you should remove app Cydia app because ones like categories and Winterboard mess stuff up. Is that true with anyone?

Also do you have to do a restore before you do the update to 2.2 OR just do the update to 2.2?

Thanks for all the help!
    11-24-2008 09:51 PM
    Glad to help.

Yeah it is probably a good idea. I had number of apps from Cydia before I upgraded and jailbroke again--I didn't get any service. One of the apps I had allowed you to toggle Edge service on or off (dumb I know since only have 2G iPhone but I digress) and that resulted in me having to eventually restore my iPhone, then update firmware, and then jailbreak and all was well.

Just make sure to always back up your phone before you make any major changes to it like upgrading firmware or jailbreaking...restoring is not all that bad--my phone runs faster now
    11-24-2008 09:58 PM
    @MrEClass: I tried replying to your message but apparently I haven't posted enough on the forums to use the PM feature Sadly, I went to LCU due to poor grades. But all of my friends went to Tech so I consider myself a Tech fan I lived at the UP (University Plaza) from 2002-2004. Great times...I miss Vince's Pizza calzones (I think that's the name of the place...damn beer). Did you go to Tech? (You can PM if you want...I'm currently trying to "rank up").

As for losing apps during jailbreak...I've learned since the early days of having an iPhone that you can't always keep what you want. I've lost so many saved games that it kills me. Forget starting Super Monkey Ball over. Vinniet, taking a snapshot is a brilliant idea!! I wish I did that last night before jailbreaking...there's some apps I had I can't remember what they were. Not to mention some Springboard themes I really liked. "Radiance" is my new cup of tea.

For your last question: I downloaded 2.2 from iTunes 1st to my desktop then went through the whole Pawnage steps. It went well from there...didn't take as long as 2.1 surprisingly.
    11-25-2008 06:58 PM
    Did you first do a restore to wipe out the iPhone first? Or did you remove Cydia apps such as Winterboard? Lastly do you have a 2G?

I am trying to figure out what would work best, if I need to remove apps or do a restore.

Thanks!
    11-25-2008 08:59 PM
    I have a 3g iphone itunes 8.0.2 and 2.2 jailbreak. (Purchased iphone from rogers so no need to unlock) I used quickpwn 2.2 to jailbreak. My intention is to get games is there anyone who can help or steer me in the right direction. Thanks P.S for anyone who wants to change their mp3s into ringtunes I use iringer which I found on the internet and it is wonderful and simple.
    11-26-2008 07:23 AM
    What kind of games are you looking for? There's not nearly as many games like the Appstore but the emulators work great for playing the "old school" stuff. Hopefully they'll release the playstation emulator soon and I'd LOVE to see some SNES Zelda on my phone.
    11-27-2008 12:12 PM
    @macaronicaesar

You can always get some old Nintendo games! Go to Cydia and download the SNES emulator and games!

Check out this link for the Youtube video on how to do it all from your phone--I did it and it worked perfectly!
    11-28-2008 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD