Had to restore, now almost all apps are missing. Please help

jackflack

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Let me start with, I'm extremely new to this, I did search but came up empty. Also, "iPhone help" was the closest I could find to post this question.

-Just jailbroke my iphone 3g, installed a bunch of apps through cydia etc.
-did a sync this morning to backup everything.
-phone crashed/locked up whatever, stuck on the loading apple.
-did the dfu and restored to where the phone was working but

most of my apps, including cydia and everything I installed with it are missing. One app I installed called "categories" (I'm thinking this might be part of the problem)is a folder app and is where I stuck most of the apps but not cydia and a few others.

My ? is, can I get them back easily, if not, I don't mind too much having to jailbreak again as it was pretty painless but I'd like to understand my options and what is going on.

Any help? Thanks

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Restore via iTunes and jailbreak again. Pretty much only thing you can do to get things working properly.

*DO NOT RESTORE FROM A BACKUP FILE*

jackflack

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Bad Ash, Got impatient, I already restored from a backup. By that I mean once it asked me if I wanted to make the phone new or from last back, I chose last backup.

Is there a problem? Actually, I've found a problem myself in that some icons just won't show, Purchased icons that is.

thanks

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I tested this out. Using Categories and restoring from a back up installs your apps, but any application you have in a folder are not on your home screen. Only way to fix is to restore and start fresh.

RyoSaeba

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Or just start download the apps off the internet instead of using Cydia or AppStor... They are files called .ipa and running one will allow iTunes to check the .ipa for errors and have it in your PC. When synced, the app is then installed in your iPhone. So no matter what happens to your phone, you will always have the app ready to be synced in your PC.