Tether or Jailbreak

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
A realy quick question. I noticed the other day there was an article regarding that maybe soon, we will be able to use the iPhone to tether to a laptop for internet connection. How true is that this might happen? I currently have a built in VZW card in my laptop but have switched to AT&T. I would rather not get a wireless card if I can use my iPhone and would rather not jailbreak unless I have to. Thanks

rpalumbo#IM

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks

It seems like PDAnet is the way to go but, I am guessing from yesterday's article: AT&T Tethering to Cost $30 per Month? that I just might be able to wait, we will see, but thanks for in advise

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yeah, if you are going to use it a lot you might want to just wait and pay for it. If you want it as a emergency backup then I would just do it under the radar because $30 is a lot to spend a month for something you rarely use. Luckily for me I don't have to jailbreak and can tether with netshare :)

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I just use PDANet. I have a Macbook Pro and it works great for me. I agree with Dizzy, if you want to use it on occasion then jailbreak it and use PDANet, but if your gonna use it for HEAVY internet all the time then go ahead and pay the $30 with At&t. my example is, i have WiFi at home, and mostly everywhere I go, but yesterday I was out and about and the mall I was at didn't have any WiFi access. I just needed to use the internet on my laptop for about 20 mins to send an attachment from my laptop. I quickly fired up PDANet and sent what I needed and it worked fast and great.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Is PDAnet still the program to use for this? I am thinking about jailbreaking my phone again for tethering. I would gladly pay att $30 for an iPhone tethering plan, but I don't feel like adding a line plus $60 for tethering.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I think there are a few options. I wonder how AT&T will treat the non-official tetherers...

I'm not sure. I really hate the options that at&t has for tethering. I will only use it one or two days a month. To go the official route, I would have to add a line and buy a usb modem costing $60 + taxes per month. Sure they have a plan for $40 per month, but it has a 50mb cap.

I need it for my vacation home that I visit about 2 weekends a month. Its in a remote area, so we cant get dsl or cable. 3g coverage is great there, so it seems like a logical fit. I don't mind paying for the service, but i just wish they had a better choices for minimal use.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure. I really hate the options that at&t has for tethering. I will only use it one or two days a month. To go the official route, I would have to add a line and buy a usb modem costing $60 + taxes per month. Sure they have a plan for $40 per month, but it has a 50mb cap.

I need it for my vacation home that I visit about 2 weekends a month. Its in a remote area, so we cant get dsl or cable. 3g coverage is great there, so it seems like a logical fit. I don't mind paying for the service, but i just wish they had a better choices for minimal use.

iPhone OS 3.0 has tethering enabled. I know that most specifics aren't released, but it will probably be a 5 GB cap.

The biggest unknown is what AT&T will do if the find out you are tethering not using the official way. I know that once iPhone 3.0 is released, I will be disabling my Sprint data card since tethering on 3G allows for data and voice at the same time...

Reactions: dooks88

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
iPhone OS 3.0 has tethering enabled. I know that most specifics aren't released, but it will probably be a 5 GB cap.

The biggest unknown is what AT&T will do if the find out you are tethering not using the official way. I know that once iPhone 3.0 is released, I will be disabling my Sprint data card since tethering on 3G allows for data and voice at the same time...

Looking forward to an AT&T announcement on this matter. I have heard rumors about them adding this. I guess its only a matter of time.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, I'd probably use less than a gig of tethering per month, if even half that. The only time I'd really need to tether is for work, and the program I use is made specifically for my business, so it uses very little information. I think even if I used the tethering plan daily with that program, I'd probably use less than 300MB per month. A free tethering plan with a 1 or 2 Gig limit would be pretty fair for people who only need limited tethering. Then they can sell 5, 10, 20 etc, Gig plans too. This lets people who only need to tether occasionally to enjoy having the benefits and flexability of being able to tether, while also giving people who tether daily for business or WoW access to more bandwidth at a higher price.

Seems like a fair deal if AT&T went that route.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner