View Poll Results: Do you care about unlocking the iPhone 3g?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I travel out of the country frequently.

2 22.22%
  • Yes - I know 3g is useless on T-Mobile but I don't care.

1 11.11%
  • No - no 3g with T-Mobile... AT&T is where it's at.

2 22.22%
  • No - I just don't care about unlocking PERIOD.

4 44.44%
    I mean the only purpose unlocking your iPhone 3g would be if you traveled out of the country. There really is no point to buy a iPhone 3g just to unlock it for T-Mobile since 3g would not work. Might as well just pick up a 1st gen iPhone cheap and unlock that for the Edge network. So if you are in the USA do you even care about unlocking?
    10-28-2008 12:24 AM
    I was pretty sure the 3g would only work on ATT or Tmobile. So if you unlock you could get on Tmobile along side the G1, but honestly I can say crap about att all day long, but I think I would rather take att than tmobile if I was given the choice.
    10-28-2008 12:34 AM
    Keep in mind you will NOT get 3g on T-Mobile with the iPhone 3g. My whole point of saying it is useless. Just like if you have a unlocked G1 on AT&T... will not have 3g. Edge only.
    10-28-2008 12:39 AM
    Keep in mind you will NOT get 3g on T-Mobile with the iPhone 3g. My whole point of saying it is useless. Just like if you have a unlocked G1 on AT&T... will not have 3g. Edge only.
    Why not? I understood what you said, but I was under the assumption that you could get 3g on tmobile since it uses the same technology as att (and most of the rest of the world).

I'm not saying that I'm right, just want to know where you are getting that information so I can be clear on the why.
    10-28-2008 01:06 AM
    The networks are simply not the same. They use different 3g radios. Simple as that. I had a unlocked G1 and totally forgot about that... safe to say I don't have the G1 any longer. Edge only just does not cut it anymore.
    10-28-2008 01:09 AM
    Well since I was a kid I always asked a million questions and have never been satisfied with someone saying "it's like this just because it is".

So I did a little googling for more info

List of HSDPA networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    United States:

* AT&T is operating a 3G/HSDPA network, called BroadbandConnect, currently in most metropolitan markets. It provides average download speeds of around 1.7 megabits per second (Mbit/s), with bursts up to 3.6 megabits per second (Mbit/s).

* T-Mobile USA is currently rolling out a 3g network in the 1.7/2.1 GHz band.

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    3G model
    * Tri band UMTS / HSDPA: UMTS 850 / 1900 / 2100
    So it seems the iPhone does 2100 mhz range. Still not saying that means it would work, but seems like it could??
    10-28-2008 01:21 AM
    You guys need to remember the rest of the world. TMobile have a 3G network in the UK and the iPhone works very happily with it.
    I do understand that the Tmobile 3G network in the USA is not fully deployed.
    10-28-2008 06:26 AM
    You guys need to remember the rest of the world. TMobile have a 3G network in the UK and the iPhone works very happily with it.
    I do understand that the Tmobile 3G network in the USA is not fully deployed.
    That's why I said in the USA...

And if you can prove me wrong about 3g not working on T-Mobile with the iPhone 3g, please do. Because I could be wrong, never said I was perfect.
    10-28-2008 08:32 AM
    Well since I was a kid I always asked a million questions and have never been satisfied with someone saying "it's like this just because it is".

So I did a little googling for more info

List of HSDPA networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it seems the iPhone does 2100 mhz range. Still not saying that means it would work, but seems like it could??
    If this were the case and it would work then wouldn't a HTC G1 work with 3g on AT&T? Well it doesn't...
    10-28-2008 08:37 AM
    I don't care too much as I do not travel out of the country very often. Most times when I am on the other side of the pond, I prefer not to be able to use my phone. I know having cheap data rates available would be nice, but half of the fun of exploring on vacation is getting lost!
    10-28-2008 09:02 AM
    If this were the case and it would work then wouldn't a HTC G1 work with 3g on AT&T? Well it doesn't...
    T-Mobile G1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    G1
    Networks Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    Dual band UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA: UMTS 1700 / 2100 (US/Europe) (7.2/2 Mbit/s)
    tmobile: 1700 2100

att: 850 1900

So the G1 only does 1700 and 2100 which is in line with tmobile, but att doesn't run either of those so you would be out of luck. The iPhone is a triband phone and does 850, 1900, and 2100 (850 / 1900 for USA att and 2100 for most of the world in one device)

Right now att is mostly 1900, but they are going to start rolling out more on the 850 band which should give a much better signal as the lower frequencies can penetrate walls a lot better.

I did hear an unlock for the 3g is coming soon (IPhone 3G Unlock Coming: iPhone 3G Baseband Break-In, Unlock Closer)

So I guess we'll find out soon enough if my numbers add up to actually being able to use it.
    10-28-2008 09:40 AM
    T-Mobile G1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tmobile: 1700 2100

att: 850 1900

So the G1 only does 1700 and 2100 which is in line with tmobile, but att doesn't run either of those so you would be out of luck. The iPhone is a triband phone and does 850, 1900, and 2100 (850 / 1900 for USA att and 2100 for most of the world in one device)

Right now att is mostly 1900, but they are going to start rolling out more on the 850 band which should give a much better signal as the lower frequencies can penetrate walls a lot better.

I did hear an unlock for the 3g is coming soon (IPhone 3G Unlock Coming: iPhone 3G Baseband Break-In, Unlock Closer)

So I guess we'll find out soon enough if my numbers add up to actually being able to use it.
    It will NOT work. T-Mobile uses a different band than AT&T, with which most multi-band 3G devices, including the iPhone, are not compatible.

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3G iPhone May Not Work on T-Mobile 3G Network | The "Break it Down" Blog

"It (iPhone 3g) is missing the critical 1700MHz band that would allow it to work universally on the U.S. carriers 3G networks. So you will be able to use the 3G portion only on ATT, and in Europe. But that would not stop you from cracking the 3G iPhone and using only EDGE on T-mobiles network becuase it would still need EDGE radio to fall back onto on ATTs sparse 3G network."

I can sit here all day posting links proving it will not work. But like I said from the very start, it will not work.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 10-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    10-28-2008 02:27 PM
    I can sit here all day posting links proving it will not work. But like I said from the very start, it will not work.
    Yeah, not trying to start something, I just like to understand why it wouldn't. B/c just looking at the frequencies it looks like it would, so I want to know what makes it not work. Going to take a look at your last post link and see if I can figure something out.

I have to know WHY, it's just in my blood.
    10-28-2008 07:44 PM
    Ah, I don't think I saw that link before, seems like you need both 1700 and 1900 for the tmobile 3g and that explains the "WHY", thanks for the link.

"ATT offers UMTS or 3G using 850mhz(the old TDMA band) and 1900mhz.
    While T-mobile offers HSDPA (technically 3.5g part of the UMTS specification) using 1700MHz for uplink and 2100MHz downlink."
    12-05-2008 10:45 AM
    OK, So the question of 3G working on T-Mobile is settled. Now, will GPS work the same if I were to unlock and use my iPhone on T-Mobile?

Just curious.

12-05-2008 06:53 PM
    So maybe it's better off with AT&T customers to go with the IPHONE and the T-mobile customers sticking with the G1....although I have looked at many places where they have installed Opera Mini on the G1 running on EDGE, it was 10x faster still than the Iphone 3g safari browser
    12-05-2008 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD