So now you have a 3g, Thinking of Jailbreaking?

To Jailbreak or not to Jailbreak?

• Yes, I think I'm going to give it try!

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Nope, not going to risk it

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Jailbreaking? What's that???

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ruben#IM

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
hey I want to jailbreak my 3g but I'm having big problems. 1. It says sumthing about me needing a .net framework and I tried doing it a bunch of times and redownloafing quickpwn and the only thing I got was a virus on my computer and I'm really sad lol I don't think I'm capable of jailbreaking it without messing up my computer or my iPhone

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
There is more out there than you actually think. More and more stuff keeps popping up. And it seems Cydia has become a bit more popular over the Installer app.

Hm.
Maybe. I'm just paranoid of bricking my phone after seeing it happen to a lot of other people with the first gen iPhone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Hm.
Maybe. I'm just paranoid of bricking my phone after seeing it happen to a lot of other people with the first gen iPhone.

I've never had a single issue with jailbreaking. And I've done a lot of them. Just make sure you know what you are doing and it should be fine.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I've never had a single issue with jailbreaking. And I've done a lot of them. Just make sure you know what you are doing and it should be fine.

If there's one really great app that Apple would never allow in the App Store and I'd use daily, then I certainly would.

eli3g

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
Thinking About It

I've been thinking about jailbreaking. Couple of questions:

1) So how does one find out exactly "what you are doing"?

2) Any recommended items for a jailbroken 3G that aren't necessarily available thru the App Store (other than themes)?

Thanks,
/e.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I've noticed that my phone seems to be more unstable after the jailbreak. The springboard (homescreen) reloads a ton, the phone freezes a lot, and it is constantly hot. I only added a few things to the phone, tried out a lot but deleted most.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've been thinking about jailbreaking. Couple of questions:

1) So how does one find out exactly "what you are doing"?

2) Any recommended items for a jailbroken 3G that aren't necessarily available thru the App Store (other than themes)?

Thanks,
/e.

Take a look here for answers to all things jailbreaking. You will find what you are looking for I'm sure.

I've noticed that my phone seems to be more unstable after the jailbreak. The springboard (homescreen) reloads a ton, the phone freezes a lot, and it is constantly hot. I only added a few things to the phone, tried out a lot but deleted most.

Hmm, the best I can tell you is to restore and try again. Anytime you do any type of hacking you are bound to run into some sort of issue. Just have to get yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again. ;)

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Yea I am goin to. Do you recommend quickpwn or pwnage tool. I have used both so far and had almost the same results but was wondering which you think is the best.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yea I am goin to. Do you recommend quickpwn or pwnage tool. I have used both so far and had almost the same results but was wondering which you think is the best.

Either will work. If you want it done quickly the choice is obvious. If you want more control over the custom firmware then you have to go with the regular pwnage.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Either will work. If you want it done quickly the choice is obvious. If you want more control over the custom firmware then you have to go with the regular pwnage.

Any other recommendations to get while jailbroken? I had winterboard, wifitoggle and a few other things.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Any other recommendations to get while jailbroken? I had winterboard, wifitoggle and a few other things.

Cycorder available on Cydia - video recorder with sound
Make it mine - allows you to edit your carrier text to what ever you'd like
There is a app that alerts you of missed calls/sms/emails on the top of of the screen... name of it is slipping my mind at the moment. Later when I have more time I will fill you on more stuff out there by creating a thread in the jailbreak section. Have to get back to work now.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Cycorder available on Cydia - video recorder with sound
Make it mine - allows you to edit your carrier text to what ever you'd like
There is a app that alerts you of missed calls/sms/emails on the top of of the screen... name of it is slipping my mind at the moment. Later when I have more time I will fill you on more stuff out there by creating a thread in the jailbreak section. Have to get back to work now.

Ok cool, thanks.

kidtreo

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
OK BadAsh I'm in!

:eek:

Me and my partner have 2 iphones - 1 2G and a new 3G.

For reasons primarily of hating on the AT&T - as well to a lesser degree, getting and using cool new apps Apple doesn't see fit to approve, I'm ready to JB em both.

I'm sure I will brick at least one of these phones in my attempts to get this done...please stay tuned for panicked questions ;)

Question #1 - Can I can still sync locally with iTunes AND with my .me server after JBing?

Question #2 - Can I update applications through the app store after JBing?

That's it for now...taking a deep breath and jumping in!

~kidtreo

alex0220

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
Besides Cycorder, SwirlyMMS (the only real MMS application for iPhone), and iBlacklist (call manager for filtering unwanted calls directly to your voicemessage), are the the mains reasons I don't leave Jailbreaking..... And I think it will take a long time before Apple allows this applications on AppStore...

devax

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
hmmmm....none of the apps seem like a good reason to jailbreak my phone. I guess I'm not adventuresome enough. The reality is that I don't see needing these apps to increase my enjoyment of the phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
hmmmm....none of the apps seem like a good reason to jailbreak my phone. I guess I'm not adventuresome enough. The reality is that I don't see needing these apps to increase my enjoyment of the phone.

Never know until you give it a try now do you? :p

nicholas.ahn

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
I've done it twice...
Since you can undo it with a simple reset, it's not really as much of a risk :)
The thing is, I've found that I don't really use any jailbroken apps, so I'm kinda just waiting for fring...

Although I really liked it, winterboard made everything really slow for me x.x

obee1

Aug 26, 2008
Visit site
I was thinking that I would never jailbreak my iPhone 3G, but the QuickPwn 2.1 came out, and I was kinda bored, so...

The main programs I like are Winterboard and Intelliscreen. With Winterboard, I love having my wallpaper in the background behind the apps. Without that, you hardly see your wallpaper.

With Intelliscreen, you do have to pay either $4.99 or $19.99 if you like it past the 10 day trial, but it's an awesome app. Shows you your upcoming calendar events, e-mails, weather, and news stories without unlocking your phone. Not necessary, but really neat anyway.

I'd like Cycorder more if I could figure out how to transfer the vids to my computer easily. Without that ability, it's kinda useless to me.

One other program I like is Folders. It allows you to put apps into folders to organize your home screens a bit. I have the ones I use most out in the open, and all the apps that I only use occasionally neatly stowed away in folders. I can find the apps without flipping through 8 pages of junk.

Overall, I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was thinking that I would never jailbreak my iPhone 3G, but the QuickPwn 2.1 came out, and I was kinda bored, so...

The main programs I like are Winterboard and Intelliscreen. With Winterboard, I love having my wallpaper in the background behind the apps. Without that, you hardly see your wallpaper.

With Intelliscreen, you do have to pay either $4.99 or $19.99 if you like it past the 10 day trial, but it's an awesome app. Shows you your upcoming calendar events, e-mails, weather, and news stories without unlocking your phone. Not necessary, but really neat anyway.

I'd like Cycorder more if I could figure out how to transfer the vids to my computer easily. Without that ability, it's kinda useless to me.

One other program I like is Folders. It allows you to put apps into folders to organize your home screens a bit. I have the ones I use most out in the open, and all the apps that I only use occasionally neatly stowed away in folders. I can find the apps without flipping through 8 pages of junk.

Overall, I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

To get videos to your Mac from Cycorder here are two options:

PhoneView 2.0.6 - MacUpdate

iphonedisk - Google Code