iTunes being Retired

Sep 23, 2018
Visit site
Was thinking about what Apple might have in-store (more-so for PC users) if they finally ditch iTunes?

This is a bit concerning since I still use iTunes rather frequently to transfer music I have ripped from my vinyl collection (which are not available via any digital means) or personal (DJ) mixes I've made and/or acquired from friends and acquaintances over the years.

I guess I'm one of the old school users that still uses iTunes to transfer music to my iPhone, as well as still doing a majority of my iOS upgrades over-the-wire and on a rare occasion use iTunes as a means to restore my device (if it starts acting-up.)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
They are just taking one app and splitting it into many. I am sure they will still allow all the functions of itunes, just will have to use multiple apps to accomplish it. I wish they woul also retire the "limit" on sizes of apps that can download over cellular data. If nothing else give us the option to use data.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
They are just taking one app and splitting it into many. I am sure they will still allow all the functions of itunes, just will have to use multiple apps to accomplish it. I wish they woul also retire the "limit" on sizes of apps that can download over cellular data. If nothing else give us the option to use data.

They just did. The 150MB app limit got upped to 200MB a few days ago

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
They just did. The 150MB app limit got upped to 200MB a few days ago

Eh there is still no option to use cellular data to download apps. If it is a large app you are stuck waiting to get on wifi. I have unlimited, I should at least have the option to download over cellular.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Eh there is still no option to use cellular data to download apps. If it is a large app you are stuck waiting to get on wifi. I have unlimited, I should at least have the option to download over cellular.

You’re preaching to the choir here.
Luckily I have always found WiFi when I was in need of a large app.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Wish unlimited cellular data was an option for me. Unfortunately, there are no cell carriers I know of that offer unlimited data in Québec, Canada. And I'm glad Apple restricts large app downloads to 200MB.

Now, it would be even better if it was a toggle in the Settings app, with a clear warning that the owner is responsible for any cell data overages on their plan.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Exactly this!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
As long as I still have access to the several......well MANY....movies I've purchased over the years then I'll be happy. While I also use the music streaming service, if they did away with that it wouldn't bother me much as I'd use Amazon Prime music.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Will there still be an app that does secure local backups? I know they've made a lot of changes to iCloud backup recently but I'm still not clear if it's to the point where restoring from iCloud will now restore health data, passwords, etc. that used to require a secure local backup through iTunes? They definitely need to make sure there's still a PC option for syncing ripped music. Like 98% of the music I play in the Music app on my phone is ALAC rips of my CD's with a few iTunes purchases sprinkled in.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Will there still be an app that does secure local backups? I know they've made a lot of changes to iCloud backup recently but I'm still not clear if it's to the point where restoring from iCloud will now restore health data, passwords, etc. that used to require a secure local backup through iTunes? They definitely need to make sure there's still a PC option for syncing ripped music. Like 98% of the music I play in the Music app on my phone is ALAC rips of my CD's with a few iTunes purchases sprinkled in.

Sorry, but what’s with all these questions??

No functionality is disappearing or being removed as far as we know for now.
They simply divided iTunes’ in 3 different apps. Movies, music and podcasts.

That way 3 different teams at Apple can work on them and make them faster, more stable and better than iTunes ever could have been.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but what’s with all these questions??

No functionality is disappearing or being removed as far as we know for now.
They simply divided iTunes’ in 3 different apps. Movies, music and podcasts.

That way 3 different teams at Apple can work on them and make them faster, more stable and better than iTunes ever could have been.

I've literally seen nothing on what's changing. I've heard a lot of stuff in forums and seen articles mentioning that it's supposed to be happening, but haven't seen anything detailing the changes. I thought maybe it was announced in the WWDC keynote but if it was I must have missed it (maybe it was in the MacOS stuff which I skipped over?). Or has it not been officially announced then still and we'll hear about it officially in September then?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've literally seen nothing on what's changing. I've heard a lot of stuff in forums and seen articles mentioning that it's supposed to be happening, but haven't seen anything detailing the changes. I thought maybe it was announced in the WWDC keynote but if it was I must have missed it (maybe it was in the MacOS stuff which I skipped over?). Or has it not been officially announced then still and we'll hear about it officially in September then?

It is announced in MacOS part of the keynote.
As part of the new MacOS version, iTunes will be divided in three parts because it got too big, which came with its own issues.
Those issues will be no more.
I’m sure there are plenty articles posted about it on the internet about what’s actually changing.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
It is announced in MacOS part of the keynote.
As part of the new MacOS version, iTunes will be divided in three parts because it got too big, which came with its own issues.
Those issues will be no more.
I’m sure there are plenty articles posted about it on the internet about what’s actually changing.

Yeah I just found some stuff. Apparently I can ignore it all since I use a PC and we're being ignored and left with iTunes still. Yay? :cant-watch:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I just found some stuff. Apparently I can ignore it all since I use a PC and we're being ignored and left with iTunes still. Yay? :cant-watch:

Yeah, Apple is most likely to focus on Apple devices first before they start rolling it out to Windows. I am okay with it either way.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

With macOS Catalina, managing the iPhone or iPad is now done via Finder instead of the Music app. Once you select Finder while your device is connected via USB, you will see it. After selecting it, you’ll see the option to backup and restore like you did with iTunes.

ssbtech

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Even using Windows and before I switched from BlackBerry to iPhone I was quite a defender of iTunes. I actually like buying the songs I like and sorting them into various playlists, but iTunes syncing of playlists with iPhone is just garbage. Tons of duplicates, lots of annoyances. The BlackBerry one-way sync was better, believe it or not.

Hopefully this is improved in whatever the replacement ends up being.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR