Ok so heres my problem...
    I tried to get itunes to back up to an external drive by creating a symbolic link within the default back up location.
    It created the link fine but then on opening itunes i found the backup button greyed out.
    So I undid everything i did to go back to how it was before and still the button is greyed out!
    I have reinstalled itunes multiple times but its still the same, can anybody help?
    I'm using windows 10.

Thanks in advance to the genius that can solve my problem!!!!
    09-12-2017 12:40 PM
    I'm reaching our for help

I'm not sure if THIS is helpful or not....

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    09-12-2017 02:44 PM
    What they are talking about there is creating the junction to send your backups to a drive other than your C drive.
    That was successful except then i couldn't back up as the backup button was greyed out, i reversed all the steps to have it back in the original set up but the button is still greyed out.

Thanks for your help tho
    09-12-2017 02:57 PM
    Ok I just thought of something, MAYBE you are not completely uninstalling iTunes, perhaps registry remnants are being left. What I would suggest is that you try using ccleaner

Download CCleaner 5.34.6207 - FileHippo.com

Use the uninstall option in that program to completely remove iTunes, and also run it's registry cleaner option, THEN reboot your PC, THEN reinstall iTunes.
    09-12-2017 02:59 PM
    Yes I have done all that already and I also did this too...

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6562#reinstall

Its a pretty thorough uninstall so I cant understand why this problem is persisting!
    09-12-2017 03:02 PM
    Ok so heres my problem...
    I tried to get itunes to back up to an external drive by creating a symbolic link within the default back up location.
    It created the link fine but then on opening itunes i found the backup button greyed out.
    So I undid everything i did to go back to how it was before and still the button is greyed out!
    I have reinstalled itunes multiple times but its still the same, can anybody help?
    I'm using windows 10.

Thanks in advance to the genius that can solve my problem!!!!
    Do you by chance have backup to iCloud enabled? If so, disable that and try again.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-12-2017 08:28 PM
    Do you by chance have backup to iCloud enabled? If so, disable that and try again.
    Briz, let me know if this works and then I can mark it as a solution for future use for others who have the same issue.
    09-13-2017 10:36 AM
    No I am trying to back up to my computer but if i select back up to icloud the backup button is still greyed out.
    I have also tried to back up through the file menu but still no go!
    09-14-2017 01:07 PM
    What I would try is uninstall iTunes. Then go to the installation location c:/Program Files/iTunes or something similar. If it still exists delete it. Then go to c:/users/"your username"/App Data/Apple/Mobile Sync and look for any backups that exist either move them to your external or toast them. Then reboot go to apple.com and download the itunes installation, re-install and connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod and if it's still greyed out post a picture so we can see what's going on.
    You could always go with the nuclear option which is what I had to do for a friend of mine once long ago. Uninstall iTunes then open the registry editor and do a backup of your registry. If you don't know how just google it then make sure Computer is highlighted in the registry window. Click on Edit, Find and type iTunes delete all the keys that pop up. It will take a long time with multiple keys just keep hitting F3 after you delete a new one. Like I said it's the nuclear option because you have to be really careful when doing it or you could seriously hobble your computer and make it un-usable.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 09-14-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: corrections
    09-14-2017 02:04 PM
    Ok well the first half of that i have already done, more than once lol!
    The other bit, i have deleted certain itunes related stuff from the registry as pointed out to me by various "fix it guides" but i will try your nuclear option a bash and i'll get back to you...thanks.
    09-14-2017 02:10 PM
    Ok well the first half of that i have already done, more than once lol!
    The other bit, i have deleted certain itunes related stuff from the registry as pointed out to me by various "fix it guides" but i will try your nuclear option a bash and i'll get back to you...thanks.
    I've reached out for help again. One of my contacts suggested making sure Family Sharing was turned off AND for you to try deauthorizing and then reauthorizing the PC.
    09-14-2017 02:44 PM
    I have read through this thread and everything I would suggest is already covered by my colleague @pkcable.
    Next thing you could try, though, is trying a different lightning cable and connect it directly to a usb on your computer (instead of through a usb hub).
    pkcable likes this.
    09-14-2017 03:26 PM
    Ok, I checked family sharing and its off, its never been on.
    I tried a different lightning cable connected directly to pc as i dont use a hub.
    I de-authorised and then authorised pc.
    I have now uninstalled itunes and every folder/app associated with it, ran ccleaner and tried your nuclear option with the registry.

I manually searched the registry and deleted any itunes folders then i did a search through the edit-find menu and one keeps popping up that i cant delete.

itunes backup problem-img_3586.jpg
    itunes backup problem-img_3587.jpg

Thanks for your persistence
    09-15-2017 02:00 PM
    Time to call Apple maybe?

Of course they may be swamped with calls right now regarding order support for the iPhone 8 anyways here's the website for Apple Support....

https://support.apple.com/
    09-15-2017 09:23 PM
    Success!!!!!!

Ok after 2 months of not being able to back up anything I have fixed it!
    Heres what I did...
    Uninstalled itunes using ccleaner
    Cleaned registry using ccleaner
    Restarted pc
    Deleted everything i could from registry Apple related then cleaned registry again and restarted.
    I then opened my C drive from "my pc" and searched for and deleted every file or folder related to itunes or apple.
    I then ran ccleaner again and cleaned registry again.
    I then used the search box within my C drive to search for Apple, itunes, iphone, ipod etc which threw up a few more files that i missed when searching manually.
    then just for good measure i ran ccleaner again and cleaned the registry again!!
    Then i went to download itunes again from scratch and it was throwing up an error with the installer...so i sat there scratching my head, then banged it on the keyboard a few times when i had an idea.
    I right clicked on the itunes exe file and ran as administrator and away it went, and it all works perfectly!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue and hopefully this will help somebody in the future who has the same problem.
    09-18-2017 02:39 PM
    DAMN! Glad you finally got it!
    09-18-2017 03:11 PM
    I knew you would all be relieved lol!
    pkcable likes this.
    09-19-2017 12:42 PM