My media - movies, music, audiobooks - is on a 3TB external drive, very close to full. So I copied everything to a new 5TB drive and would like to use that going forward. What now??? The iTunes folder lives on the Mac and contains the library files. Do I need to create a new library, and will that hose my metadata? There's lots of info on moving a library off a Mac (where everything is in the iTunes folder) to an external, but haven't found anything about moving from one external to another. Many thanks for the help.

Before hitting send I saw a help topic on consolidating files. Should I just reformat the new drive and consolidate?
    06-27-2016 04:54 PM
  2. robertk328 said: Best Answer

Saw that, looks like moving library to a new computer. Are the directions the same for what I'm trying to do?
    Here's one for moving drives. Essentially the same, just move the files and hold Option when starting. I've done it before but it's been a while. Not difficult

http://m.imore.com/how-move-your-itu...-drive-new-mac
    The instructions via the following link should prove helpful to you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318
    06-27-2016 05:25 PM
    Saw that, looks like moving library to a new computer. Are the directions the same for what I'm trying to do?
    06-27-2016 06:32 PM
    Here's one for moving drives. Essentially the same, just move the files and hold Option when starting. I've done it before but it's been a while. Not difficult

http://m.imore.com/how-move-your-itu...-drive-new-mac
    06-27-2016 06:54 PM
    Thanks for that. Think it would be best to start from scratch, reformat the external drive and then consolidate? From what I'm seeing it looks like I screwed up by just copying the files to the new drive.
    06-27-2016 09:50 PM
    Thanks for that. Think it would be best to start from scratch, reformat the external drive and then consolidate? From what I'm seeing it looks like I screwed up by just copying the files to the new drive.
    Yes, consolidate first, so it will put everything in the iTunes folder. Chances are, if you had it set to do so from the beginning, everything will be ok, but it would be unfortunate to move everything and then find missing files.
    06-28-2016 07:29 AM
    Thanks for the help. I'll reformat and consolidate to the new drive.
    06-28-2016 11:49 AM
    Thanks for the help. I'll reformat and consolidate to the new drive.
    Consolidate first, and then copy over to the new drive.
    06-28-2016 05:03 PM