How do I set up a new iTunes library?

JAHall721

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
My media - movies, music, audiobooks - is on a 3TB external drive, very close to full. So I copied everything to a new 5TB drive and would like to use that going forward. What now??? The iTunes folder lives on the Mac and contains the library files. Do I need to create a new library, and will that hose my metadata? There's lots of info on moving a library off a Mac (where everything is in the iTunes folder) to an external, but haven't found anything about moving from one external to another. Many thanks for the help.

Before hitting send I saw a help topic on consolidating files. Should I just reformat the new drive and consolidate?

JAHall721

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for that. Think it would be best to start from scratch, reformat the external drive and then consolidate? From what I'm seeing it looks like I screwed up by just copying the files to the new drive.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that. Think it would be best to start from scratch, reformat the external drive and then consolidate? From what I'm seeing it looks like I screwed up by just copying the files to the new drive.

Yes, consolidate first, so it will put everything in the iTunes folder. Chances are, if you had it set to do so from the beginning, everything will be ok, but it would be unfortunate to move everything and then find missing files.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods