iTunes on Sonos or only Apple Music service?

ConfusedDotCom1

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
There is no category for Sonos so I have chosen iTunes
Does anyone know if I can play my existing iTunes library wirelessly (Bluetooth not Wi Fi) to Sonos speakers, not using the new Apple Music service?
I have had a nightmare with some new wireless Sony speakers (?1,000 for 3) which I am now going to return.
Playing your music via Bluetooth to 1 speaker was easy and the sound quality is fantastic, but using the Sony app to group the speakers and name the group and get them all playing together without one disconnecting or the units doing an automatic standby has driven me insane for two days.
I now want to get the Sonos system but don't want another pitfall. Everything I read on this refers to Apple Music and doesn't mention iTunes.
I don't want to find out after I have bought the new system that the Sonos app will only work with the subscribed Apple Music service which I have not moved over to yet as happy with all my bought Apple Music.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to think that the speakers are just a way of listening to audio, regardless of how it is streamed/played. Having said that, if you're able to play your music and those speakers are connected to whatever device you're playing the music, then you should be able to hear it. As for playing your is tunes music w/o Apple's music service, the answer is yes, if the music is exported or burned to a CD.

X Tabber

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Confused,

Sonos has an option to add your music library. After you've installed your controller, you'll see an option to do so. You just need to navigate to your iTunes Library on your PC and then Sonos will index your iTunes library.

If you want to stream iTunes even when your PC is off, consider getting a Network Access Server - essentially just an external hard drive connected to your Wi-Fi - so that you can put your iTunes library on this drive and Sonos can access it anytime.

I have a Mac household, so I have my Airport Extreme connected to a 1TB hard drive, where my iTunes library resides. I connected my Sonos system to this external drive and I can play all of my iTunes collection through Sonos, even when my Mac is off.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73