Apple Tech support destroyed my iTunes library, now what?

dj darryL

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I called Apple support for help with iTunes running very slow, in the process of their tech help they wiped out all of my playlists (backup and current). They offer a 100.00 buying spree at the Apple store as compensation. But with 2.5 TB of songs it will take me months to re-establish my playlist and albums. So my question is this since I have to redo everything, what is the best playlist style or way to build this back up.
I was a DJ (raves/clubs) now do music for commercials and soundtracks, so I get tons of the new free music from the various record companies. Previously , I did a standard playlist of Alternative/ and then bands that fit under this basic heading, then bluegrass, blues, electronic, hip hop, rock etc etc. But I'm open if anything else is a better idea. Mine just seems boring but I have way to many songs/albums to just put everything under one heading and sort alphabetically. thoughts?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. Sorry for your loss, usually Apple support is very good, and a $100 spending spree at the Apple Store does not compesate for that much lost music in my opinon. This is defintely uncharacteristic of Apple. With that much music Free and purchased, I'm surprised you didn't have it backed up somewhere else. I actually have my music backed up in two different places plus on my 128gb 6 Plus. I just make playlist according to the type of music I want in that particular title list. Example, Female love songs, Male love songs, Group love songs ect. I try and keep it as simple as possible thru titles.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would do it the same way I had been. Except put copies in a safe place or 3. Why were the techs piddlin' with your external hard drives?

dj darryL

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I was there to fix a slowness issue, they decided to recreate my library to see if that corrected the issue instead of saving the old library they deleted the library's in my backup, they saved 1 to my desktop but then mistakenly overrode that one with the one they just created. I had a second back up of all my music, but it didn't contain the playlist files.
Now when I try and move folders of music from the external drive to a new iTunes playlist it doesn't come over with album art work or the artists. They can't tell me why.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What exactly was this slowness in iTunes? I'm trying to understand what the problem was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dj darryL

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
When I would try and play a song it would take 5-6 sec before the song would start, also getting the beach ball. To stop a song it would take 6-7 sec after hitting stop for it to stop playing again beach ball. Scrolling would always produce a beach ball. Activity screen would constantly show 110 % proceeding with iTunes. They said it was a corrupt playlist, I don't have a play list but it continues to be slow. I have some special tech calling me on Friday evening to work through the slowness issue.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you still have the actual music files MP3, AAC etc or were they lost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dj darryL

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I still have the files, but when they loaded a copy of my library it randomly put things in folders, so in Daft Punk homework folder/album you can have 20 other bands, and about 1/2 of them now don't have artists name and art work. But yes I still seem to have all my music on my external harddrive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro