Is there a way to purge old versions of iOS apps downloaded from iTunes?

durfmobile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to purge old versions of iOS apps downloaded from iTunes.

Helo all. I like to keep the most recent version of iOS apps stored on my NAS, in case they disappear from the app store (Can I Stream It - for example). I've found that iTunes does not purge the old versions once the latest is downloaded. Is there a way to delete these old files, other than manually sorting and deleting one by one? Automator? AppleScript? App? Thanks!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Is there a way to purge old versions of iOS apps downloaded from iTunes.

On my MacBook Pro - when I update apps in iTunes, the old one(s) are in my Trash - and I empty it after downloading.... it has always done it...

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Helo all. I like to keep the most recent version of iOS apps stored on my NAS, in case they disappear from the app store (Can I Stream It - for example). I've found that iTunes does not purge the old versions once the latest is downloaded. Is there a way to delete these old files, other than manually sorting and deleting one by one? Automator? AppleScript? App? Thanks!

How are the copies getting onto your NAS? Are you manually copying them?

As Keith said, when I update an app via iTunes, the older version of the app get moved to the trash bin. If you are manually copying them to your NAS, how would iTunes know where those copies are and how would it know how/what/when to delete them?

I used to do the same thing - as I updated the apps in iTunes, I copied the "deleted" apps from my trash bin to a folder on my NAS. When I needed to clean up that folder on my NAS, it was a manual process. Ultimately, I decided that it was not worth the effort for several reasons:

1. It was labor intensive to keep track of updates and identify and delete the older versions.
  2. The iTunes library and all mobile app files (Macintosh HD>Users>{user}>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Mobile Applications>{appname}.ipa) are already backed up in my Time Machine backup.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

On my MacBook Pro - when I update apps in iTunes, the old one(s) are in my Trash - and I empty it after downloading.... it has always done it...

Same for my Windows laptop and my MBA.

durfmobile

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

Sorry I missed the notification to your replay. Thanks for reply.

I'm not manually copying to my NAS. I have iTunes pointed to my NAS for media storage. So, all music, movies, tv shows, podcasts, and apps are written/read to/from the NAS. I did this in iTunes preference: Preferences> Advanced> "iTunes Media folder location". I have this set to the iTunes folder on my NAS, connected via SMB - gigabit ethernet.
(I have that SMB volume mount at log in from System Preferences> users> log in items)

So, since everyone else's old apps are deleting, and mine are not, I assume this is bc it's on my NAS, and when I delete a file on my NAS, it is a permanent delete (with pop-up), not a move-to-trash. This is probably why it is PAINFULLY slow to update apps with in iTunes, as well. That pop-up is probably freaking out iTunes (I never see it when iTunes is doing the updates) so it panics for a few minutes then eventually cancels the deletion.

So, the major problem is that SMB on OS X simply suuuuucks. All network protocols are SEVERELY slower on OS X compared to windows.

Thanks again for the replies, everyone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner