Why does iTunes ask for a password when I try to transfer my backed up iPhone files to my new iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I just got an iPhone 6. I used iTunes to try to transfer the backup from my iPhone 5, but it asks me to enter a password. I tried my AppleID password, that didn't work. I tried my laptop login password; that didn't work either. I have no idea what password it's looking for. The last few times I've backed up my iPhone 5, I clicked the encryption box. A couple of people have told me that it might be asking for the encryption password, but I have no idea what that could be because I wasn't asked to set one when I did the backup. HELP!!

Chrisy

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue as well!! It's because you clicked the encryption box. At that time I believe it asked you to enter a password. When I got a replacement iPhone and went to transfer my backup to the new phone it asked me for a password.

I didn't even remember setting one! I ended up just trying a few passwords that I use commonly and one was correct. Give that a try. Try your Apple ID password.

In the future, If you don't want this issue do not click the encryption box.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh