Why would specific video files crash iTunes but still be able to be streamed to iOS devices?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
TL : DR version: One, maybe a few others (I haven't checked yet) video files crash iTunes and I can't figure out why.

Full version: A few weeks ago, my Windows 7 PC got borked by a bad patch and I had to reinstall Windows. Pre-crash, I was using iTunes 11.4. Post-crash, when reinstalling my software, I wound up with iTunes 12 which I absolutely hate. I thought the problem I was having specific to this issue was an issue with iTunes 12, but now I'm not so sure.

One movie file, maybe more (I haven't checked all of them yet) crashes iTunes when I try to play it. It's a movie that I ripped to m4v out of my own collection. Same format and settings as all my other similarly ripped movie and tv disks. None of my media files were effected by the system problem as they're on a separate hard drive, and the system issue was a boot problem. So I restored the movie from a backup, no change. I re-ripped it, no change.

Then because of multiple usability issued with iTunes 12, I located and online archive of prior versions, uninstalled 12 that and installed version 11. No change as far as this video file goes.

Throughout the entire thing, I can stream the same movie over my home network to iOS devices with no problems at all.

So why would specific video files crash iTunes even with fresh rips as to be ensured to be clean, but still be able to be streamed to iOS devices?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Why does iTunes 12 suck?

Out of curiosity do those videos play fine in QuickTime?

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Jason Lara

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I've got the exact same problem with my iTunes. Any luck? Tried rolling back to old version of the app, rolling back to older version of the movie, re-ripping the movie… all to no avail.

Other movies play fine… and the "broken" ones play fine in VLC and Quicktime.

Flustered!

Jason Lara

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
In case you ever check back on this thread (or anyone else needs the help), here's how I fixed my problem:

- I put my movies in iTunes in "Date Added order" and found that all movies added since a certain date were having the issue.

- I checked back through my Time Machine and saw that it wasn't iTunes that was updated just before that date, but Handbrake.

- I restored the previous version of Handbrake and tested re-ripping on of the DVDs I'd ripped recently that was problematic… and it worked.

So there's your culprit (or at least mine anyways)

Hope this helps!

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I traced mine down to a problem with the SATA channel on the mainboard. I moved the HD to another socket and the problem went away.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2