Lets say I have offline mp3 files, but on my laptop, i do not have iTunes. My iTunes library that I sync with my iPhone is on my desktop.

The only way i know to add new mp3s to an iPhone is to add mp3s to iTunes library then sync. In this case, i connect my iPhone to my desktop.

But if i have new mp3s and I am nowhere close to my desktop, is it possible to add mp3s to the iPhones using my laptop (my laptop do not have the iTunes library that sync with the iPhone)? I can't add the same iTunes library from desktop to laptop because my laptop HD space is limited.

Thanks.
    08-17-2014 02:59 PM
    No way to actually add them to the Music app on the iPhone that I know of. But you could add the new MP3 files to something like DropBox and install DropBox on the phone and access them from there.
    Also you may want to look into iTunes Match because with it as long as the laptop, desktop and iPhone are signed into the same AppleId then you'd have access to all your music on each device with no need to sync to get new music on the iPhone.
    08-17-2014 03:08 PM
    Thanks, but I don't want to pay for iTunes Match and I only have 1 Apple device, so having Match is useless.

If I use a Dropbox, it would only play in Dropbox, but i have no way to add it to Music app and put in a playlist, something like that, right?
    08-17-2014 03:27 PM
    It will only play in Dropbox, correct.

Sent from my Death Note powered by iOS
    08-17-2014 03:33 PM
    Thanks, but I don't want to pay for iTunes Match and I only have 1 Apple device, so having Match is useless.

If I use a Dropbox, it would only play in Dropbox, but i have no way to add it to Music app and put in a playlist, something like that, right?

Unless you jailbreak the iPhone first of all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-17-2014 03:36 PM

Correct. You could only at it within DropBox. I was suggesting it as a temporary method until you have access to the desktop you normally sync with.

Also, Match works with iTunes on Windows PCs, so it wouldn't matter that you only have 1 apple device. Just trying to offer alternatives, not push it on you
    08-17-2014 03:36 PM
    Thank you all, no jailbreak for me. And I think dropbox is a no go for me as if i have the mp3s files, i just play it on my laptop whenever i m on the road.

Usually I have new mp3 while i m on the road (shared from friends, copied to laptop). So even then, Match is still no use to sync to iPhones because the mp3 is still on my laptop and i have no access to desktop because whenever i m on the road, my desktop is powered off (offline).

I thought that it is not possible, but want to check it first as I am no Apple expert.
    08-17-2014 04:17 PM
    Match would work though because with Match you don't need to sync music at all. You sign into Match on the desktop and all music on the desktop iTunes is added to Match. On the laptop, you sign into Match in iTunes and see all the Match music added from the desktop (it's just the metadata the music isn't downloaded to the laptop unless you choose too) and then add whatever music you want to the laptop iTunes. This music then shows up on the desktop in iTunes as well. When you sign into iTunes Match on the iPhone you see all music on the desktop and laptop.
    08-17-2014 07:51 PM
    You could use an app like Readles's Documents 5. Either email the mp3 to your phone or use Document's built in WiFi transfer. If you email the file you can "Open In" option to Documents. The app has a media player which plays in the background and even has AirPlay. There are many iOS media players which will show up as an "Open In" option, but Documents WiFi transfer could work directly between your laptop and phone and is quicker. You'll have to create an Ad-Hoc WiFi network on your laptop and connect your phone to it, or use someone else's WiFi.
    08-19-2014 08:39 AM