Is iTunes Getting Way Too Old And Need A Complete Workover?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Does iTunes in your opinion have the proper content you would expect? Does it need a ground up refreshed UI? Is the content old and if so what do you think should be included in the next generation iTunes that is missing now?

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well the windows version needs a complete rework in terms of coding...

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

anon(4777221)

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Works fine for me, the last update 11 simplified it and added the cloud option so I don't even need to have my files on my computer, but I can still see a list of things I bought from the store.
viewing music in the list view has always worked well for me. Being able to view the store directly is cool too. Anyways, since buying a iPhone and Apple TV, I don't use it nearly as much as before as its easily to view movies/shows on Apple TV, and music can download directly from the store onto my phone so no longer need to transfer files with a cable.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Does it need a ground up refreshed UI?
No. First it's got like 5 interfaces now and only one do i use, the traditional text layout. The others views are useless eyecandy to me. I like eyecandy. I don't like useless eyecandy. I'm not trying to navigate 24000 songs by album art. And if i worked at apple and they said "yes top of our itunes to do list is let's make backgrounds the same color as albums" i'd have smacked someone for suggesting BS projects and gotten myself fired. I love the text layout i hate the other new layouts. I hate them more given that time was dedicated to them while not addressing simple other longstanding needs

Itunes problem is it's god awfully slow and laggy

Is the content old
I don't care about old. I care if it works. You don't alter a good idea for the sake of altering something. There's a reason the classic coke and Heinz Ketchup is the same, it tastes great already.

what do you think should be included in the next generation iTunes that is missing now?
That above statement doesn't mean there isn't a ton of room for improvement. Just saying don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and don't change for the few people that get bored with everything in a year. Change for change sake doesn't impress me. You'll just ruin things you already do well.

here's what i'd change.
  • make it fast. clicks should respond instantly. In windows it should respond to clicks as fast as windows explorer does. Now it can take as long as 15 seconds from clicking on a song for it to even highlight.
  • eliminate bloat (bonjour, all the resources it hogs)
  • omit quicktime.
  • folder monitoring.
  • batch import and export of playlists
  • On syncing side. sometimes itunes will try and force you to delete all your apps when you sync. eliminate that completely.
  • One click, itunes library rebuilder to replace corrupted libraries. You should never have to dig in folders and make copies and reboot. Shoot just click a button and it replaces the corrupt library and automates all that stuff. (i'm not talking about the music files but the apple made directory of files).
  • The whole apple organizing my files things i never do and scares me. Why rename files. I'd eliminate that.

As for advanced stuff i'd that be nice but not needed especially if it makes more bloat
  • better tagging tools. look at Tag&Rename for how it's done.
  • I'd love the ability to update album art to large clearer sizes from the web. but i don't want apple picking because they'll pick wrong. Like grid showing, the songs, the size of the current art and then you could scan the internet and show options for higher quality images like 700x700 or 1000x1000 etc. And you could select in batches what to change. because i have stuff tagged almost 10 years ago with crap art that looks mediocre now. i change it as i come across it but it's tedious. I'd love to be able to scan all my files for 300x300 or worse art and batch update.
this stuff is just stuff in my head. Most there are other tools i use to do these tasks. Although i'd love to find something that will help me update my album art and give me control over which images i add.

but for me it's biggest issues are it's slow, doesn't monitor folders in background and no batch imports of playlists.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal