Can I add an Apple gift card with my iTunes account instead of a credit card?
    01-13-2014 01:07 PM
    Can I add an Apple gift card with my iTunes account instead of a credit card?
    You need a debit/credit card to be linked to the account first. After that, you can load a gift card onto the account, and it will pull from the gift card before touching the credit card. For example, if you have a $5 gift card, and are putchasing something for $9...it will pull the $5 off of the give card, then pull the remaining balance from your credit card.
    01-13-2014 01:13 PM
    You need a debit/credit card to be linked to the account first. After that, you can load a gift card onto the account, and it will pull from the gift card before touching the credit card. For example, if you have a $5 gift card, and are putchasing something for $9...it will pull the $5 off of the give card, then pull the remaining balance from your credit card.
    Actually not true. You can add iTunes gift cards without a credit card. That's how I have my kids' accounts set up because I do t want them linked to my CC.
    01-13-2014 01:53 PM
    Actually not true. You can add iTunes gift cards without a credit card. That's how I have my kids' accounts set up because I do t want them linked to my CC.
    Wow, I didn't know that! I was always under the impression that a credit card was a must for an itunes account. Thank you for correcting me!
    01-13-2014 04:57 PM
    Wow, I didn't know that! I was always under the impression that a credit card was a must for an itunes account. Thank you for correcting me!
    Nope... never had a credit/debit card on my iTunes account. I buy iTunes gift cards and that way never risk more than the value of the gift card should anything nefarious happen to my iTunes account. Typically I buy $25 cards (hopefully on sale) and save them until my balance gets low.

To answer the OP's question, no. Apple store gift cards are for the Apple retail and online stores only. You can, however use an Apple STORE gift card to purchase Apple iTunes gift cards, effectively transferring the balance.
    klcrow8690 likes this.
    01-13-2014 06:41 PM
    What's way to add a gift card in iTunes account?
    01-14-2014 06:31 AM
    I usually do it in the App Store in my phone. Open store click featured on the bottom left and scroll to bottom and click on redeem.
    01-14-2014 07:00 AM
    I usually do it in the App Store in my phone. Open store click featured on the bottom left and scroll to bottom and click on redeem.
    And isn't there the new feature where you can just scan the gift card instead of typing it in?
    01-14-2014 11:35 AM
    Nope... never had a credit/debit card on my iTunes account. I buy iTunes gift cards and that way never risk more than the value of the gift card should anything nefarious happen to my iTunes account. Typically I buy $25 cards (hopefully on sale) and save them until my balance gets low.

To answer the OP's question, no. Apple store gift cards are for the Apple retail and online stores only. You can, however use an Apple STORE gift card to purchase Apple iTunes gift cards, effectively transferring the balance.
    That's actually a really good idea! I might just start doing that myself!
    01-14-2014 11:36 AM
    And isn't there the new feature where you can just scan the gift card instead of typing it in?
    I do that on my Mac all the time... click REDEEM in the Store then there’s an option to use the camera to read the code... easy peasy.

Not sure about on an iPad/iPod/iPhone, but I don’t see any reason that it could not be done...
    01-14-2014 11:40 AM
    I do that on my Mac all the time... click REDEEM in the Store then theres an option to use the camera to read the code... easy peasy.

Not sure about on an iPad/iPod/iPhone, but I dont see any reason that it could not be done...
    Yep. iOS 7 added the ability to use the camera as well.
    jburke82 likes this.
    01-14-2014 04:59 PM
    Yes. Love it
    01-14-2014 05:58 PM
    Yeah, I mainly use iTunes cards I buy at Sams Club (usually have a discount on the cards, so you don't pay face value). They had the $100 packs for $80 last Black Friday week... They're in $25 increments and they're handy for last minute gifts if you get stuck.

I took my credit card out back in the day when iTunes had that funkiness with stolen/hacked accounts getting a bunch of bogus charges in China. If you have a little balance in the account, you just lose that balance vs having to deal with credit card companies, etc. Just don't keep a huge balance there of course.

There's some funkiness in setting up a new iTunes account without a credit card though. Check out Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks Store, and Mac App Store account without a credit card for info on it.

Oh, and as the others say, you can redeem on your phone/etc. with the camera. Much easier than typing the mega-long code from the card.
    accactg and jburke82 like this.
    01-14-2014 06:20 PM
    Thanks Redshirt,

I'm so much happy for your great information on my problem. I got my solution.

Thanks again...
    jburke82 likes this.
    01-15-2014 07:30 AM
    I do the same thing. Though, I have a credit card on there for those cases where I may want to purchase something more than what I have in credit, though that is very rare. I usually refill my account before I get that point.
    02-14-2015 06:14 PM
    How do you get that do? Use the store gift card to purchase an iTunes card?
    09-15-2015 08:43 PM