How many people actually buy their music and not just download it from the Internet? I am really curious how many people support iTunes/Artists. I for one definitely buy my songs. I like the album art plus all the info that comes with the track. Is their much of a difference of quality between iTunes songs and pirated songs?
    12-15-2013 01:31 PM
    It's all in how the "pirated" music was acquired - if ripped from CD - one can use settings that yield files with specs identical to what iTunes serves up... and the quality only depends upon the mastering of the CD in the first place... my library is a combo of iTunes purchases and tunes ripped from CD... I also used iTunes match, and "converted" all my ripped content to iTunes quality...
    12-15-2013 01:35 PM
    How many people actually buy their music and not just download it from the Internet? I am really curious how many people support iTunes/Artists. I for one definitely buy my songs. I like the album art plus all the info that comes with the track. Is their much of a difference of quality between iTunes songs and pirated songs?
    iTunes songs are legit and pirated songs are probably just recordings. It depends where the pirated songs came from.
    12-15-2013 01:35 PM
    It's all in how the "pirated" music was acquired - if ripped from CD - one can use settings that yield files with specs identical to what iTunes serves up... and the quality only depends upon the mastering of the CD in the first place... my library is a combo of iTunes purchases and tunes ripped from CD... I also used iTunes match, and "converted" all my ripped content to iTunes quality...
    iTunes Match is a nice service.
    12-15-2013 01:36 PM
    iTunes Match is perfect for me. I never buy albums I just buy sings individually because not like I like the entire album
    12-15-2013 01:45 PM
    Combination of both, if the song or album is really good I'll buy it on iTunes, if I kind of like a song I look else where for it. But sometimes there are songs that I what to buy but are not available on iTunes in Canada (but they are in the UK store...) and I have to look elsewhere. But if I notice those songs one day in the iTunes Store in Canada I buy them and delete the ones I got elsewhere. My view is at the very least support your favourite artists and buy their songs or albums (plus mastered for iTunes albums sound a lot better than other sources).

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-15-2013 02:53 PM
    I rarely buy from iTunes, I usually find a better deal on Google Music or Amazon MP3. Between that, various mixtapes, and CD rips that's probably 98% of my library
    12-15-2013 03:19 PM
    My entire music album is from iTunes thank god every song i have wanted is available in iTunes Canada
    12-15-2013 03:51 PM
    All of my music is legal. None is pirated.

Most of it is from Amazon because it tends to be less expensive. Some from iTunes. Some from CDs that I own.
    sydneycooper1979 likes this.
    12-15-2013 04:01 PM
    All of my songs are legal as well. All of my purchases over the past couple of years have been through iTunes.
    12-16-2013 07:04 AM
    I haven't purchased any music or videos from iTunes ....yet. I use Amamzon MP3, they seem to be a lot cheaper, especially the "The Best of" or Greatest hits" type albums
    12-16-2013 08:52 AM
    I honestly don't even buy music these days, between iTunes Radio, Spotify and Rdio, I find little need to 'purchase' music.
    12-16-2013 07:46 PM
    I honestly don't even buy music these days, between iTunes Radio, Spotify and Rdio, I find little need to 'purchase' music.
    You are spot-on, sir.
    12-16-2013 08:28 PM
    Stream most but when I buy it's from iTunes.
    12-16-2013 08:37 PM
    I would stream all my music but I would need a 50 GB data plan and a battery that lasts 3 times longer when streaming audio and LTE everywhere I go. Since I can't get any of the above in Canada I'll stick to my locally stored music option.

12-16-2013 08:46 PM
    <double post>

12-16-2013 08:47 PM
    A huge amount of my music was downloaded from the net. I have over 13,000 songs. About 3500 was bought in iTunes. I subscribe to iTunes Match and have replaced all the downloaded copied with actual iTunes copies. Some of that 13000 was also from CDs I ripped.

Most of the music I bought as collections such as the Complete U2 when it was offered and some others. I didn't pay $3500 for all that music. I would say it was less than $1000.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-16-2013 08:56 PM
    I buy all my music from iTunes. Totally legit, rewarding the artist, and most importantly I benefit iTunes in the Cloud, so I don't have to carry my entire music collection everywhere "just in case".

I do the same with TV Series and movies.
    Moreover it's awesome to take out an iPad and catch on music or TV Series just by a tap, since it's all stored online!
    12-17-2013 06:38 AM
    I think it depends on how old you are and how much music you have already. I've got a lot of music ripped from CD's I purchased back in the day. A smaller amount from the pirate scenes. Then the majority of the newer music from iTunes (available/convenient/decent price). Then Amazon (because it was cheaper than iTunes with the same availability/convenience). Then neither (when the majority of the prices got increased to 1.29). Now, I pretty much buy in the 69 cent/bargain bins because I've already got most of the music I like, and the majority of the current music out there doesn't appeal to me. 69 cents is a no brainer, 99 cents check it out a bit, 1.29, do I really need it (usually no)? If I want to test something out, I check youtube. Other than that, I listen to podcasts, etc. I usually don't use the streaming services because, pay, and the music I like, I already have...
    12-20-2013 10:32 PM
    Just downloaded 1,275 songs from an old Blackberry 16gb memory card, however not all album art was received....Any opinions to why not?
    12-21-2013 06:17 PM
    Just downloaded 1,275 songs from an old Blackberry 16gb memory card, however not all album art was received....Any opinions to why not?
    No one??
    12-21-2013 07:42 PM
    No one??
    Too many reasons why; could be the way you copied the music from the card to the computer or it could be an issue with iTunes. Try a different media player on your computer and see if the album art work shows in that.

Spencerdl likes this.
    12-21-2013 09:08 PM
    I have had the same issue. Some art is there some not. Never found out why.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-21-2013 09:36 PM
    Lot of variables. Most likely those were MP3's (mp4a's are different). The MP3 format originally didn't have support for album art. It was kind of hacked on with the ID3 tags. Depending on when you got the music, how it was encoded, and whether or not the encoded added in the album art, you may or may not have it (and have to retrieve it).

In the past, iTunes was a bit funky on how it saves the album art. A lot of times it just saves the JPG in the folder, and copies that it into its database when it syncs to your phone/iPad. It has the capability of embedding the art, but I'm not sure if it does it automatically or if you have to copy/paste into the Get Info screen. I don't know if the latest version is better or not, haven't looked at it in a long time.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    12-22-2013 05:17 AM
    Thanks, that explains a lot. some of the music was downloaded years ago when I had a 1gb memory card and just past from memory card to memory card thru the years until the last 64gb memory card. I would estimate about 70% of album art was transferd, the others are probably to old when album art wasn't a big thing or supported.
    12-22-2013 06:19 AM
31 12