Old iTunes accounts prompts

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I recently had my iPhone 5S replaced due to a nagging springboard crash issue (link). Since restoring from backup, I continue to get prompted to log into two iTunes accounts. Once is my daughter's account, and the other is an email address that I had previously used as the login account ID on my current iTunes account. I assume there is something on my phone that is causing this to happen, but as far as I know, I have not installed anything from my daughter's account - ever. And, as I said, the other account is mine, but I am being prompted to log in with an old email address.

Every app that I have installed is working fine, and there are no pending updates that don?t get resolved via the standard app update process.

Any idea how to stop this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what on your 5S could be prompting you to login in the manner you speak especially the one from your daughter. Have you gone to Manage Your Apple ID and make sure your information is intact and your Apple IDs are verified? Try logging out of iTunes, reboot your device and then logging back in.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you syncing all the iOS devices in your family with the same computer & iTunes library? If so that be why, when you restore with iTunes it might sync all Apple IDs that have been saved to the iTunes library your using. I've ran into this issue and had to create a separate iTunes library per person on my computer. The only annoying part is to remember to switch iTunes library's when you startup iTunes as needed.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions and responses.

I spent about an hour on the phone this morning with Apple support, and I have found a solution. Not sure why it suddenly sprang up when I restored from a backup on to my replacement iPhone 5S when it had never shown up before - including on my original iPhone 5S that I restored from the iCloud backup immediately after I got it.

A quick bit of background. I have only had one iTunes account. Early on I used a different email address as the login "name". About 3 or 4 years ago I abandoned that email address and changed the email address on my iTunes account to reflect the new address. Fast forward 3 or 4 years to today and suddenly I have a couple of songs that were purchased using that email address on my same iTunes account. I was being prompted for the password for that original email address, which was really confusing. It’s the same account.

The second iTunes account was my daughter's. Apparently she somehow managed to get 2 albums that she bought into my iTunes account... and my wife added a couple of songs to a common playlist. iTunes was (correctly) prompting me for authorization to access those songs, even though I never listened to them or added them.

In the course of talking with the 2nd level tech, I did managed to discover how to identify the culprit for future reference. If it’s an app, it simply will not update... it will continue to show as having a pending update. Easy, peasy.

Music, however was a bit more difficult to identify... until the tech showed me the secret. Here's how to identify the purchasing iTunes account for all music in your iTunes library:

1. Launch iTunes
  2. Click the Music tab
  3. Right click (option click) on the headings above the music (but below the Column Browser section)
  4. Choose KIND - now your music is sorted in kind (MPEG Audio, AAC, Purchased AAC, Protected AAC, etc)
  5. Now scroll down to the section labeled Purchased AAC
  6. Right click (option click) and choose Get Info
  7. In the middle part of the popup info box, on the right side, there are 2 fields labeled: Purchased By and Apple ID.
  8. Scroll through that section (Purchased AAC) of your iTunes library by clicking the NEXT/PREV buttons looking for songs that don’t match your own AppleID. These are the songs that could be problematic.
Once I found them, it was simply a mater of deleting the offending songs from the library/playlist and resyncing my phone.

Last edited:

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions and responses.

I spent about an hour on the phone this morning with Apple support, and I have found a solution. Not sure why it suddenly sprang up when I restored from a backup on to my replacement iPhone 5S when it had never shown up before - including on my original iPhone 5S that I restored from the iCloud backup immediately after I got it.

A quick bit of background. I have only had one iTunes account. Early on I used a different email address as the login "name". About 3 or 4 years ago I abandoned that email address and changed the email address on my iTunes account to reflect the new address. Fast forward 3 or 4 years to today and suddenly I have a couple of songs that were purchased using that email address on my same iTunes account. I was being prompted for the password for that original email address, which was really confusing. It?s the same account.

The second iTunes account was my daughter's. Apparently she somehow managed to get 2 albums that she bought into my iTunes account... and my wife added a couple of songs to a common playlist. iTunes was (correctly) prompting me for authorization to access those songs, even though I never listened to them or added them.

In the course of talking with the 2nd level tech, I did managed to discover how to identify the culprit for future reference. If it?s an app, it simply will not update... it will continue to show as having a pending update. Easy, peasy.

Music, however was a bit more difficult to identify... until the tech showed me the secret. Here's how to identify the purchasing iTunes account for all music in your iTunes library:

1. Launch iTunes
  2. Click the Music tab
  3. Right click (option click) on the headings above the music (but below the Column Browser section)
  4. Choose KIND - now your music is sorted in kind (MPEG Audio, AAC, Purchased AAC, Protected AAC, etc)
  5. Now scroll down to the section labeled Purchased AAC
  6. Right click (option click) and choose Get Info
  7. In the middle part of the popup info box, on the right side, there are 2 fields labeled: Purchased By and Apple ID.
  8. Scroll through that section (Purchased AAC) of your iTunes library by clicking the NEXT/PREV buttons looking for songs that don?t match your own AppleID. These are the songs that could be problematic.
Once I found them, it was simply a mater of deleting the offending songs from the library/playlist and resyncing my phone.

That should only apply to "protected AAC" song purchases, songs purchased after (I think) fall 2009 are DRM-free.

Sent from my iPod touch (5th generation) or iPhone 4S (iPhone 5S coming soon) using Tapatalk.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
That should only apply to "protected AAC" song purchases, songs purchased after (I think) fall 2009 are DRM-free.

While that makes sense on the surface, the songs that were causing the issue were not "protected" - they were DRM-free. I don’t know what to tell you... just reporting what we did and what worked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73