Syncing iPhone with iTunes

iChloe

Banned
Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey all! I need some advice please :) I've recently bought a new SIM for my iPhone and to activate it, I have to sync with iTunes. The problem is that I no longer have the laptop that I always used to sync iTunes. And it's not letting me sync up to the new laptop as it says that the iPhone syncs with different iTunes. Does anyone know how to change this? Or what I should do? Any advice would be great, thanks :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey all! I need some advice please :) I've recently bought a new SIM for my iPhone and to activate it, I have to sync with iTunes. The problem is that I no longer have the laptop that I always used to sync iTunes. And it's not letting me sync up to the new laptop as it says that the iPhone syncs with different iTunes. Does anyone know how to change this? Or what I should do? Any advice would be great, thanks :)

To activate the SIM, stick it in your phone and connect to a wifi hotspot. That should get the SIM activated without any problem.

As for syncing with a new laptop... that’s how iTunes works. Syncing with a different computer forces you to delete all of your previously synced content and start over. It’s an attempt to prevent piracy. Look for any of a number of software programs that let you "reverse sync" your phone with your computer - NOT using iTunes. Senuti is one, and there are others... basically, it lets you copy everything off your phone back to your computer where you can then use to sync it back to your phone with the new computer.

How to manually transfer media to your iPhone and iPad with iTunes 11 | iMore

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Why can't he go to the new laptop/PC and open iTunes and tether the iPhone and at the top under store use 'Authorize This Computer'? I am not sure if it is the same as what you are talking about Don while I know what you are talking about, I am only asking if that would work?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Why can't he go to the new laptop/PC and open iTunes and tether the iPhone and at the top under store use 'Authorize This Computer'? I am not sure if it is the same as what you are talking about Don while I know what you are talking about, I am only asking if that would work?

There are two different functions, Jan. One has to do with connecting an existing iTunes account to a new computer. In that case, as you say, launch iTunes, click on the Store menu item and then "Authorize this Computer". You can authorize up to 5 computers.

The second function has to do with syncing an iPhone that already contains content to a new computer. Since Apple limits devices (iPhones, iPads and iPods) to be synced with a single computer. If you try to sync the device with a second computer, it will wipe the content off of the device before allowing the user to sync with the new computer.

I am not clear at this point what the objective of the OP is, but the way I read it, the OP is having a problem syncing the iPhone with a different computer (the second function as described above)...

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed Don 100%. I did know the both parts you are referring to and is why I made my comments with you. I am not sure either what the OP is actually looking for so we shall see. Thank you for your input Don in helping with me.

[EDIT] am not clear at this point what the objective of the OP is, but the way I read it, the OP is having a problem syncing the iPhone with a different computer (the second function as described above)...

I believe this to be true as well as I am reading it and i hope he will answer and post back so we will know for sure.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong, but does t the store that sells you the SIM card typically activate it before you leave?
That way you walk out of the store with a working 'phone'.

That's been my experience with purchasing a new device with new SIM card.
Is purchasing a new SIM card only somehow different?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I am in the same boat and what do I do now? The old computer is gone, I deauthorized it before I wiped the HDD. So, now I have a new laptop with iTunes on it and I can't sync to it without wiping my entire phone? This makes no sense. I am using the same Apple ID, the old computer is gone and deauthorized, should I not be able to do this? There has to be a workaround or are you telling me you can never buy a new computer once you have an iPhone? (being sarcastic but there has to be a way)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I am in the same boat and what do I do now? The old computer is gone, I deauthorized it before I wiped the HDD. So, now I have a new laptop with iTunes on it and I can't sync to it without wiping my entire phone? This makes no sense. I am using the same Apple ID, the old computer is gone and deauthorized, should I not be able to do this? There has to be a workaround or are you telling me you can never buy a new computer once you have an iPhone? (being sarcastic but there has to be a way)

The correct way to approach this is to backup your iTunes media from the old computer before wiping/disposing of it... then restore or reload that content on your new computer.

As for syncing with a new laptop... that?s how iTunes works. Syncing with a different computer forces you to delete all of your previously synced content and start over. It?s an attempt to prevent piracy. Look for any of a number of software programs that let you "reverse sync" your phone with your computer - NOT using iTunes. Senuti is one, and there are others... basically, it lets you copy everything off your phone back to your computer where you can then use to sync it back to your phone with the new computer.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I am able to plug iPhone into new laptop I am speaking of and actually do a back-up to my laptop. Now, when I go to add a ringtone to my iPhone, I get the message to sync it has to erase since it can only be synced to one library. Can I just do that and then restore from the back-up I have on my laptop that I just made and be back to how it was? Am I confusing things?

Bottom line, I have no media on my phone I need to save since I use iTunes match and all my photos are saved elsewhere. I just want t add the ringtone and have my phone stay the same elsewise. This is getting ridiculous. I don't want to lose my settings, I just want my phone to stay the same, just with one more ringtone. Am I asking too much?

I don't really need to sync, or need anything off of my new computer except that ringtone. Will I really screw it up if I do the erase? Can't I just restore from the backup on my laptop I just made and get all my settings and apps back in place? Contacts and all and texts.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73