 Help with restoring from backup 

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My daughter was having problems with her iPhone 5. It was just acting strange, locking up and being weird. So I backed it up to iTunes and did a complete reset. When I tried to restore from the backup, nothing. The restore seems to run find for about 3-4 minutes, then the restore progress window just closes and the phone is disconnected from my iMac. No error messages are displayed anywhere - neither on the phone nor in iTunes.

I have tried this with 2 different cables, in 2 different USB ports, and even ensured that I had the latest iTunes (11.04, I did)... rebooted the iMac...nothing works. She has lost photos, text messages, contacts (no iCloud backup) and game progress. And I am in deep doo-doo.

Anyone with any idea what is wrong? I would expect some sort of error message in the very least, but I?m getting nothing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try putting the iPhone in DFU mode and let iTunes download and install a fresh copy of iOS. Afterwards, try to restore. Also try rebooting the computer.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Are the cables you tried OEM?

Yes, both genuine Apple lightning cables.

Try putting the iPhone in DFU mode and let iTunes download and install a fresh copy of iOS. Afterwards, try to restore. Also try rebooting the computer.

Did the DFU mode install. No dice. Have rebooted the computer a couple of times... results are the same everytime... the restore runs for a few minutes, and then the restore progress window just closes without any error message or explanation on either phone or computer.

I am trying now to move the backup file to a different computer to see what, if anything that does.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And there is nothing in this world worse than a daughter's wrath. Good luck.

I regularly see people try to restore from backups and the backups are missing or corrupt. I'm still an iTunes hater.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro