iTunes wirelessly throughout the house?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Any way to use AirPlay throughout the house to steam iTunes? I'm thinking Airport Express with speakers or something but there would be no way to do it in an individual room, it would be anywhere, right?

I'm thinking of something like a Sonos or similar that might be able to tie into iTunes in a room and play from there, whether controlled by an iPhone or something on screen. Or would AirPlay allow me to choose which Airport Express to steam to?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying I do not own an airport express and have no way of verifying this, but:

Since airport lets you choose which apple tv to stream to, I would like to think you could do the same with multiple airport expresses, assuming each is on the network with a unique name. But I cannot try this for you.

EDIT: Did some google-fu for you and I found some links that may help. The first is from Apple's FAQ on Airport Express.

Question: I have a third-party 802.11b/g/n wireless access point. I want to put AirPort Express next to my home theater and stream iTunes to it. Can AirPort Express join the third-party network?Answer: Yes. AirPort Express can join a third-party network in client mode, or if it is connected via Ethernet to a LAN port on the non-Apple wireless access point.

Question: Can iTunes send a single AirTunes stream to multiple AirPort Express stations?
Answer: Yes. You can send an AirTunes stream to multiple remote AirPort Express units . The maximum number of remote AirPort Express units is up to six. The actual number that will work in your environment will depend on conditions such as building composition and radio interference, distance to the remote AirPort Express units, and available network capacity relative to your other usage.

Question: Can iTunes send different AirTunes streams to different AirPort Express stations?
Answer: No. iTunes only sends the same stream to multiple AirPort Express units.

Question: Can my AirTunes stream play through my computer's speakers at the same time?
Answer: Yes. You can play through both the computer speakers and multiple remote AirPort Express units.

Question: Can I use other applications, like QuickTime or Windows Media Player, to send sound to AirPort Express via AirTunes?

Answer: No.

And then I found this article from the NYT:
One limitation of this arrangement is that you can’t send different music to different rooms; if you’re playing Prince in the kitchen, you’re playing him in the living room (assuming you have the living room speakers on). To play different music in different rooms, you’d want a system from, say,
Sonos
, which can do that, but it’ll cost at least $299 a room.

So no, it does not look like the airport express can do what you're looking for, sorry.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
AirPlay allows you to select whatever output device that is available on the same network as the iTunes library source device is on.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I did a different search and found some other threads. Sounds like I'll be doing a bit more research - thank you both for your time!!

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, as long as all your speaker devices are on the same WiFi network as the Mac you're playing the music from, you can play on all those speakers at once. AirPlay in iTunes let's you stream via WiFi to multiple speakers and devices at once. I play from my Mac to my Apple TV and other wireless speakers at once.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, as long as all your speaker devices are on the same WiFi network as the Mac you're playing the music from, you can play on all those speakers at once. AirPlay in iTunes let's you stream via WiFi to multiple speakers and devices at once. I play from my Mac to my Apple TV and other wireless speakers at once.

Yes, but this is the opposite of what the OP is looking to do. He wants to have multiple airplay speakers, but only play the music to one room at a time, not all at once. Do you know if that can be done, or would you be willing to try it out for the OP?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but this is the opposite of what the OP is looking to do. He wants to have multiple airplay speakers, but only play the music to one room at a time, not all at once. Do you know if that can be done, or would you be willing to try it out for the OP?

Yeah. Just select in the iTunes AirPlay menu to play on a single source and select the one speaker you want to play on.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You can select one or multiple from iTunes on a computer... if you select multiple... you can then refine the choices with 'radio buttons' to select which devices to stream to among those that can be seen on the same network as the iTunes library host computer.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well now we know. Thank you jclisenby for the answer. I'm sure if the OP has any further questions they can ask you. I am glad we got an answer.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Use airports express or Apple TV you can stream to anyone of them or all them at once

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods