Using iTunes Match with an external hard drive

Heathmel

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have all of my music on an external hard drive to save space on my MacBook Air. Is there a way to use iTunes Match so that I can play music from my external on my iPhone and iPad?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No.

iTunes Match will only stream from 'cloud' servers... if you want to play what's in your local iTunes library on another local device, you need to use AirPlay.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I think what she is asking is how she initially matches her library. Since it's on an external and won't all fit on her Macbook Air.

I'm assuming some of the music is purchased from iTunes and some is not.

This is a question I was interested in knowing the answer too as well. I'd like to clear off some space on my hard drive but not if it's going to pull them from Match.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think Match just sees things as being in a library tied to your AppleID... and doesn't care where things are physically.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No.

iTunes Match will only stream from 'cloud' servers... if you want to play what's in your local iTunes library on another local device, you need to use AirPlay.

Not quite. As Karen said, it downloads each song to your i-devices as it plays them. I bought it thinking I could stream to my iPad mini and I was wrong. Wasted $25. I just uploaded them to Google Play so I could stream to my iPad. And that was free.

And to answer Heatmel's question, I don't think it can be done from a external HD. Or at least not that I'm aware of.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think what she is asking is how she initially matches her library. Since it's on an external and won't all fit on her Macbook Air.

I'm assuming some of the music is purchased from iTunes and some is not.

This is a question I was interested in knowing the answer too as well. I'd like to clear off some space on my hard drive but not if it's going to pull them from Match.

That's what I think the op was asking

I don't see why it would not work

If your library is on the external when you open iTunes like normal when match it first started I don't think it matter where the actually music files are located as long as it can access them ..

It need to match them and upload ones it dont match to the cloud once that is done then they are able to be access on your devices

I have noticed on your device sometimes you can download a song but sometimes it streams not sure why but as far as the op question I think as long as your external is connected when you turn on match for the first time you will be ok

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

thibodeaux

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Not quite. As Karen said, it downloads each song to your i-devices as it plays them. I bought it thinking I could stream to my iPad mini and I was wrong. Wasted $25. I just uploaded them to Google Play so I could stream to my iPad. And that was free.

And to answer Heatmel's question, I don't think it can be done from a external HD. Or at least not that I'm aware of.

Actually it does "stream" now, and not unlike other streaming services it caches the music to your local drive. I currently have my entire music collection on an external hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme, and with Match enabled I can play anything in my 20,000 song library to any of my devices including my iPad, iPhone, MacBook and Mac mini... You may want to check it out again ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2