What exactly is iTunes Match?

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm very fuzzy on the iTunes Match concept. I can't seem to get a clear answer. If anyone here could give me any details I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You pay and then upload your library it matches to best quality they have and if not matched then uploads yours ...turn it on On the devices Then your devices will show your complete library
Play any song and it streams from the cloud

email4nickp

May 4, 2011
Visit site
It matches your library so you can sign in on any iTunes enabled device (mac, iPhone) and have your entire library available to stream or download.

vp710

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly: let's say you purchased music from Amazon or other retailers, ripped some CDs, or "downloaded" some music from elsewhere. Pay Apple $25/year and all this music will be matched and available for you to either download or stream from Apple's servers, and as such, will be part of your "official" iTunes collection. Unfortunately, iTunes Match has a limit of 25,000 tunes (and 10 devices which is okay).

remipmc

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
i believe the 25K limit is to uploaded songs, your "matched" songs do no count towards this limit.
If I understand correctly: let's say you purchased music from Amazon or other retailers, ripped some CDs, or "downloaded" some music from elsewhere. Pay Apple $25/year and all this music will be matched and available for you to either download or stream from Apple's servers, and as such, will be part of your "official" iTunes collection. Unfortunately, iTunes Match has a limit of 25,000 tunes (and 10 devices which is okay).

drclayton

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I know the answer to this but since this thread is for learning purposes I am bringing it up....
I uploaded/matched all my songs on itunes match. Then say my macbook gets destroyed (the one with all my music on it) - can I be sure that when I buy a new macbook that I can download all my songs onto the new macbook? I havent really tried using other itunes devices except for my iphone to test this out.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I was looking at Google Play, why wouldn't everyone do that? It is free, just 99 cents for the app. What is the downside?

Also, iTunes match, can I buy one sub and use it on two different phones? I assume it is just linked to apple user id? So long as you are logged in on that ID on your phone for iTunes&App Stores in settings it works? If that were the case, my wife actually has her own ID, how would I handle that? That wouldn't screw up our syncs when we do them to iTunes, right?

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You can use iTunes Match on several devices such as phones, iPads, PC running iTunes, etc.

You could use 1 subscription and access it in multiple phones but both phones would have to be signed into iTunes on the phone with the same apple ID.

Okay, so you can't do that with Google Play? I am not trying to sell anyone here, but I guess I am confused. Google Play is free. Why not use that?

As far as iTunes match, I see it downloads files to your iPhone but Google play will just stream, correct?

I also read:

What happens if I don’t resubscribe after the first year? Will I lose any upgraded songs?
No. Any songs you’ve upgraded or downloaded again are completely safe. The only thing you lose is the central storage — iCloud will no longer stream or download matched or uploaded songs to your devices.

So is this saying you can upgrade your whole library for $25 and no resubscribe? I thought the "upgraded" music was in the cloud, which you lose after you don't re-up. Is this saying the upgraded music is downloaded to your computer in iTunes when you do it or do you have to trigger such a download? This alone is a big point.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
You can Bookmark Google Play ( play.google.com/music) and save it as an icon to your home screen.
This is how I access it on my iPhone & iPad

Good Luck

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey, on the iTunes match I was giving it a try and it seems to store album artwork locally on my computer? I have my library on an NAS and I would figure that is where it would go. Anyway, on my local harddrive I see a folder for album artwork and three subfolders called cache, cloud and download. What gives?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't do much music on my phone but its nice to have access to that music from anywhere. Biggest reason I got it was all the CDs I ripped at less than 256kbps to save space way back when were upgraded automatically assuming they existed in the iTunes music store. I just re-upped for the extra backup/storage.

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey, on the iTunes match I was giving it a try and it seems to store album artwork locally on my computer? I have my library on an NAS and I would figure that is where it would go. Anyway, on my local harddrive I see a folder for album artwork and three subfolders called cache, cloud and download. What gives?

Anyone with an idea on this? And does match automatically search for artwork?

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
iTunes Match is fine as long as you're in WiFi range. If you travel a lot it really isn't worth it because you can't access your music without blowing up your data usage. Of course the alternative is to burn up your phone storage with music so...

iBradA5

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Will this scan your iPod or only iTunes library? What I'm getting at is my old computer with music on it not purchased from iTunes has crashed, therefore I cannot access that iTunes music library. My new computer obviously does not have any of the music from my old computer. If it will not scan my iPod, I don't see a way for me to get ALL my songs matched being that some are in my new computer's iTunes library and some in my old...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices