I went out and bought a new Macbook Air yesterday and was going to transfer my iTunes Library over from my PC to my Mac but saw the size of all my music and movies and though of something else: just keeping the entire library on an external.

I have enough room to move it over to my Mac but would rather have a way to, when I want to use iTunes, hook up my external and have all my music and movies stored on there. I know I will always have to have it hooked up.

Is there a way to do this?
    08-25-2012 03:30 PM
    I did this with a 64 gig flash drive recently. I believe you can just move the entire iTunes folder to the external HDD and when you start iTunes hit I think shift or control on a pc and double click. On a Mac I believe it's option double click. Then iTunes will ask you to select a library, just navigate to iTunes on your HDD and select it. Everything will be just like you had it, play count, ratings, sync information etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    08-25-2012 05:34 PM
    I went out and bought a new Macbook Air yesterday and was going to transfer my iTunes Library over from my PC to my Mac but saw the size of all my music and movies and though of something else: just keeping the entire library on an external.

I have enough room to move it over to my Mac but would rather have a way to, when I want to use iTunes, hook up my external and have all my music and movies stored on there. I know I will always have to have it hooked up.

Is there a way to do this?
    I use a Mac Mini to host/serve iTunes content to my network. I stored all of my media on an externa drive, and then unchecked the "keep iTunes media folder organized" and "copy iTunes media folder when adding to library" in the preferences/advanced section. Now the iTunes library stored in my Mac Mini contains all the meta data, but points to the network store where everything resides.
    08-25-2012 06:48 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I think I have it figured out by holding down the option key and selecting like one of you said. Thanks again.
    08-25-2012 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD