iTunes Artwork and Tag issues

jfusco

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
iTunes 10.6.3.25. iPhone 3Gs w/ iOS 5.1.1. iPad 1 w/ iOS 5.1.1. Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I have had a couple of issues for a while. The first issue is with my music files. iTunes decides, seemingly at random, to change my track title field from Title to Artist - Title. When I perform a Get Info, the title field is how I set it in the first place and when I close the info box, the title field reverts back to how I set it. It will usually change again at some point in the future. iTunes is not managing my music library, all of the files are in non-DRM mp3 format and most if not all were ripped from CD using MediaMonkey.

The second issue is with my movie artwork and has only happened recently. Some of my movies have changed artwork to some randomly-chosen file. When I look at the info, I see the artwork I attached but it does not revert back when I close the info box. I tried removing and re-adding the artwork to no avail. Interestingly, if I delete and re-add the file to the library the artwork will change but just to a different, random cover. Several of the titles have the same artwork and when I reload one, all of them change.

For instance, The Apartment, The Black Hole, and Caddyshack all currently have artwork from Star Knight (don't judge). If I remove any one of them from the library, all of them change to have artwork from, say, The Matrix. If I do it again, they change to The Terminator. This tells me that they are somehow linked but I'll be damned if I can figure out how.

There are no artwork files or hidden folder.jpg files or anything in the folder with the mp4 files. I think it's also messing with my music artwork but I don't pay much attention to that so I don't care.

Any ideas on either issue?

jfusco

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I tried renaming the library files and having it start over. I even re-applied the artwork to one of the files using another program before I re-imported everything. No good. :( In fact, I think doing that made the problem worse.

I'm in the process of uninstalling iTunes and I'm going to delete the iTunes folder before reinstalling. I've made backups of the library files and iTunes media folder.

jfusco

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled iTunes and all of the supporting Apple software. I renamed the iTunes folder then did a full power cycle. I did a fresh install of iTunes [curious how it's the 64-bit version but still wants to install in Program Files (x86)] and imported the movie folder. No change. :mad:

jfusco

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I figured out how to fix the artwork :) but can't imagine how, programmatically, this would in any way have an effect on the artwork. The answer was at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1701270?start=0&tstart=0

Apparently, at some point, iTunes added some additional information to the files. Looking at the Get Info box, the word iPod is in the album field of the info tab. Deleting everything from the info tab except the Name and Genre will clear this up. You do have to remove and re-add the file or clear out the cache folder to get it to update the artwork.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2