Like it? Love it? Hate it? Need help with it?

Apple just gave podcasting a dedicated app in the App Store, and I'd love to hear what you think about it?
    06-27-2012 12:29 AM
    I like the idea... I'll play with it tomorrow on my way to work and report back.
    06-27-2012 12:36 AM
    I am having a consistent problem with this app. I have every subscription set to auto download. When I open the app, I see the unplayed list refresh but none of the episodes are downloading.

Anyone experience this?

TIA!
    06-27-2012 06:03 AM
    I've had similar problems with auto-download. Out of the blue, a podcast from a year or more in the passed will start downloading. This occurs despite having marked all episodes as played, and keeping only unplayed episodes.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bbi5jy
    06-27-2012 06:58 AM
    Seems like a good start. Sync needs some work though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    06-27-2012 07:15 AM
    I am having a consistent problem with this app. I have every subscription set to auto download. When I open the app, I see the unplayed list refresh but none of the episodes are downloading.

Anyone experience this?

TIA!
    I noticed this. I plugged my devices in overnight and everything downloaded. Could be overload on Apples servers.

06-27-2012 07:18 AM
    It is a great path for Apple to take. The app so far has a few bugs/glitches but is overall a great app. Defiantly a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    06-27-2012 07:30 AM
    The app is pretty laggy on my iPhone 4. Its animations are very unsmooth, which doesn't seem very Appley. Also, yeah, the subscriptions don't work, and downloading seems to take longer.
    06-27-2012 09:12 AM
    How do you get sync to work? I can't find anything in the app or iCloud settings and nothing seems to be syncing between my iPad and iPhone.

Seems like a good start. Sync needs some work though.

06-27-2012 09:35 AM
    i have it set to auto-download new eps, lets see if it works. the post on imore actually said you have to be in the app for it to download so that kinda sucks. no push notifications sucks too. alert me when theres a new podcast to download at least!
    06-27-2012 09:56 AM
    I have a podcast I would like to receive, but it is not listed and I have RSS feed URL and would like to add this in manually. I don't see such an option.

Ideas?

-rp-
    06-27-2012 12:14 PM
    So far I'm not a fan at all. I see no compelling reason to switch from downcast to this app. I have tried it out for a few days and have been unimpressed. I'm not a fan of how it continues to stream the next episode in line if it's not downloaded to your subscription. I could see this seriously wrecking someone's data plan and causing overages. It does seem like a great start though. I would like to see iCloud integration with AppleTV in the future.
    rcperkinsjr likes this.
    06-28-2012 11:21 AM
    The Apple podcast app, in my opinion, should not have been released as of yet. It's as if they rushed it and I can't figure out why?

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    06-28-2012 11:31 AM
    So far I'm not a fan at all. I see no compelling reason to switch from downcast to this app. I have tried it out for a few days and have been unimpressed. I'm not a fan of how it continues to stream the next episode in line if it's not downloaded to your subscription. I could see this seriously wrecking someone's data plan and causing overages. It does seem like a great start though. I would like to see iCloud integration with AppleTV in the future.
    Tried DownCast and it is exactly what a Padcast app should be with the ability to add any URL that I know of or have or can find. Huge gap in features and abilities with the Apple Podcast - just deleted the stupid thing from my devices and am an instant fan of DownCast! Thanks for the tip.
    06-29-2012 09:39 AM
    Also, this app never seems to download the album artwork. It's just not very good outside if subscribing.
    06-29-2012 11:40 PM
    I actually ended up deleting it for now and using the old system through the music app.
    06-30-2012 01:11 AM
    I love podcasts and was so excited when Apple released this app. I'm sorry to say it's nearly unusable for me. Way too many bugs.Here are my problems:

1) The playhead rarely advances as I listen to a podcast; doesn't matter whether I'm streaming or downloading.

2) Podcasts sometimes (often) don't resume where I left off (on the same device)

3) Downloaded podcasts often disappear before I've listened to them (and before a newer episode is available). They just vanish and appear with the download arrow again.

4) App is pretty laggy, especially when I first open it.
    07-02-2012 09:21 PM
    It's an awesome concept but the app kinda sucks right now. Pretty sure it's a "Beta" right now and will be officially updated and heavily touted when iOS 6 launches this fall. Once they make some tweaks it'll be awesome.
    07-02-2012 09:48 PM
    Hope so. Just deleted the app from both my iPad and iPhone. Something about demonic downloads of two year old podcast episodes. Kind of like a zombie app. Episodes marked as played keep coming back randomly as unplayed.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uwtk41
    07-02-2012 10:14 PM
    I tried Podcast for several days and have deleted it from both my iPhone and iPad.

What I liked about it:
    • Clean interface
    • Easy to search podcasts
    • Easy to subscribe to podcasts

What I didn't like about it:
    • Laggy
    • Artwork not always downloaded
    • No Settings for me to adjust UI, playback, etc.
    • Not enough playback speed options
    • Not enough playback skip options (want more than 30 sec. in either direction)
    • Podcasts often reverted to unplayed status even though I had previously finished them
    • Playback did not always pick up where I left off

These are just a few items of the top of my head. I think I've been spoiled by the Downcast app and the controls it provides (not an advertisement - I just prefer Downcast to the other podcast apps I've tried). I'll gladly give Podcast a try again once iOS 6 is released, as I would expect that by then it will include a host of improvements.
    Last edited by rdrum; 07-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    07-03-2012 11:26 AM
    I deleted it as well. It will be nice when they work the bugs out.
    07-03-2012 07:57 PM
    I have a podcast I would like to receive, but it is not listed and I have RSS feed URL and would like to add this in manually. I don't see such an option.

Ideas?

-rp-
    According to Chris Breen's review of the Podcasts app on Computerworld.com, it is possible to add podcasts via an RSS url. This is done by entering the feed address in the search field.

Link to Breen's article:
    Podcasts for iPhone and iPad - Computerworld
    07-03-2012 08:29 PM
    Oh but of course, I never even considered that very user friendly method /sarcasm off/

According to Chris Breen's review of the Podcasts app on Computerworld.com, it is possible to add podcasts via an RSS url. This is done by entering the feed address in the search field.

Link to Breen's article:
    Podcasts for iPhone and iPad - Computerworld
    07-05-2012 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD