Apple Podcasts app

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Like it? Love it? Hate it? Need help with it?

Apple just gave podcasting a dedicated app in the App Store, and I'd love to hear what you think about it?

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
I am having a consistent problem with this app. I have every subscription set to auto download. When I open the app, I see the unplayed list refresh but none of the episodes are downloading.

Anyone experience this?

TIA!

skipbarker

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I am having a consistent problem with this app. I have every subscription set to auto download. When I open the app, I see the unplayed list refresh but none of the episodes are downloading.

Anyone experience this?

TIA!

I noticed this. I plugged my devices in overnight and everything downloaded. Could be overload on Apples servers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
It is a great path for Apple to take. The app so far has a few bugs/glitches but is overall a great app. Defiantly a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

nccows

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The app is pretty laggy on my iPhone 4. Its animations are very unsmooth, which doesn't seem very Appley. Also, yeah, the subscriptions don't work, and downloading seems to take longer.

jon01

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
i have it set to auto-download new eps, lets see if it works. the post on imore actually said you have to be in the app for it to download so that kinda sucks. no push notifications sucks too. alert me when theres a new podcast to download at least!

rcperkinsjr

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Adding a PodCast not listed in the "Catalog"

I have a podcast I would like to receive, but it is not listed and I have RSS feed URL and would like to add this in manually. I don't see such an option.

Ideas?

-rp-

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So far I'm not a fan at all. I see no compelling reason to switch from downcast to this app. I have tried it out for a few days and have been unimpressed. I'm not a fan of how it continues to stream the next episode in line if it's not downloaded to your subscription. I could see this seriously wrecking someone's data plan and causing overages. It does seem like a great start though. I would like to see iCloud integration with AppleTV in the future.

Reactions: rcperkinsjr

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The Apple podcast app, in my opinion, should not have been released as of yet. It's as if they rushed it and I can't figure out why?

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

rcperkinsjr

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm not a fan at all. I see no compelling reason to switch from downcast to this app. I have tried it out for a few days and have been unimpressed. I'm not a fan of how it continues to stream the next episode in line if it's not downloaded to your subscription. I could see this seriously wrecking someone's data plan and causing overages. It does seem like a great start though. I would like to see iCloud integration with AppleTV in the future.

Tried DownCast and it is exactly what a Padcast app should be with the ability to add any URL that I know of or have or can find. Huge gap in features and abilities with the Apple Podcast - just deleted the stupid thing from my devices and am an instant fan of DownCast! Thanks for the tip.

musicfor18

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I love podcasts and was so excited when Apple released this app. I'm sorry to say it's nearly unusable for me. Way too many bugs.Here are my problems:

1) The playhead rarely advances as I listen to a podcast; doesn't matter whether I'm streaming or downloading.

2) Podcasts sometimes (often) don't resume where I left off (on the same device)

3) Downloaded podcasts often disappear before I've listened to them (and before a newer episode is available). They just vanish and appear with the download arrow again.

4) App is pretty laggy, especially when I first open it.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's an awesome concept but the app kinda sucks right now. Pretty sure it's a "Beta" right now and will be officially updated and heavily touted when iOS 6 launches this fall. Once they make some tweaks it'll be awesome.

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I tried Podcast for several days and have deleted it from both my iPhone and iPad.

What I liked about it:
  • Clean interface
  • Easy to search podcasts
  • Easy to subscribe to podcasts

What I didn't like about it:
  • Laggy
  • Artwork not always downloaded
  • No Settings for me to adjust UI, playback, etc.
  • Not enough playback speed options
  • Not enough playback skip options (want more than 30 sec. in either direction)
  • Podcasts often reverted to unplayed status even though I had previously finished them
  • Playback did not always pick up where I left off

These are just a few items of the top of my head. I think I've been spoiled by the Downcast app and the controls it provides (not an advertisement - I just prefer Downcast to the other podcast apps I've tried). I'll gladly give Podcast a try again once iOS 6 is released, as I would expect that by then it will include a host of improvements.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner