I have a question in regards to backing up my 4S. First a few details - I use a Windows XP(sp3) with iTunes 10.6 version. I did not update to the newer version because this one is functioning fine for me. My 4S is on 5.0.1, and I back up usually every week, sometimes a second time within the week if i delete or add something - ie.an app, contact...etc.

Normally after I do a back up, i go to the top left in iTunes and click the 'EDIT" tab>preferences>then I go into the 'Devices" tab. I look in there just to be sure my backup was created/saved sucessfully. One thing I have been noticing is my original back up from when I got my 4S in Nov.4, 2011 is there, but any ones there after that I normally do weekly are not. I was a bit confused by this, and looked to see if there was a setting that i had to click to save all back ups, like a Blackberry does, this way if i wanted to chose to restore an older backup, i could. I didn't find any setting that needed "tweaking".

So, am i missing something here? is there a setting on my Windows XP within iTunes I need to click on? Or does iTunes just only save your initial when activating the iPhone, and then there after only saves the 1 most recent backup and over-rides the previous?

I just looked in my Windows 7 laptop, and all the backups that my kids have performed, which arent many at all, are all there - so if they wanted to retrieve an older back up they can.

Any info & help would be appreciated - I also did try going onto Apple support and using google, but i found no direct answers. Could it also be because WindowsXP is an older system and that is why it doesnt save every back up as well?

TIA
    06-07-2012 02:43 PM
    When I connect my device to my MacBook and fire up iTunes, my device is detected and on the summary tab, there's a Backup option. If I select it and them hit sync at the bottom, it does not backup my iPhone. However, if I right-click on my iPhone on the left side of the iTunes screen and then select backup from there, it performs a backup like it is suppose to. It's been a long time since I've used a Windows-based computer so I don't know what to tell you, Pink.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    06-07-2012 02:53 PM
    When I connect my device to my MacBook and fire up iTunes, my device is detected and on the summary tab, there's a Backup option. If I select it and them hit sync at the bottom, it does not backup my iPhone. However, if I right-click on my iPhone on the left side of the iTunes screen and then select backup from there, it performs a backup like it is suppose to. It's been a long time since I've used a Windows-based computer so I don't know what to tell you, Pink.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    D, with all do respect, you mis-understood what i was asking

What i'm looking to find out, is when you do a back up, does each and every single back up get stored so that there is all files saved for each time you back up? OR does the itunes just save the one back up and each time you back up it over-rides the previous one?

Because right now in my WindowXP, the only back ups i have avail is the initial one i have when i set up my iphone, and then the one from today i just did. Any and all prior ones i did each week are not there and i dont know if they should be or not, & is there a setting i need to click in iTunes to have the iphone save EACH back up weekly. Thats what i'm asking
    06-07-2012 04:46 PM
    Oh, I see. Sorry about that. the link below states that you can delete selected backups so I assume the backups are accumulated. I've yet to restore from an iTunes backup and I'm not near my MacBook to check and see if all of my backups are listed individually.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    06-07-2012 05:07 PM
    Oh, I see. Sorry about that. the link below states that you can delete selected backups so I assume the backups are accumulated. I've yet to restore from an iTunes backup and I'm not near my MacBook to check and see if all of my backups are listed individually.

iTunes: About iOS backups

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Thanks D, i've read this already as well. But thats my problem, my back ups are NOT accumulating like i think they should be......

and idk why.
    06-07-2012 05:45 PM
    I did some poking about on my computer... I can't make heads or tails out of it either... at first, I was thinking manual back-ups were indefinitely saved, while ones that are made via the wifi back-up process are different - and only the last few of those were saved.
    06-07-2012 05:59 PM
    I did some poking about on my computer... I can't make heads or tails out of it either... at first, I was thinking manual back-ups were indefinitely saved, while ones that are made via the wifi back-up process are different - and only the last few of those were saved.
    So, Keith, do i understand your post correctly -- your previous back ups are not saving either, just the most recent one like i'm seeing?

Just to add, there have been times where i had my iCLoud back up turned ON, meaning itunes will not automatically back up, so you have to right click and invoke it to do so--which i've done, and those aren't there either i'm very confused by this.

i've also poked around in my files on the computer going into the computer/app data/apple...etc to find them also, and no good.
    06-07-2012 06:42 PM
    I cleared the directory where back-ups are stored so I can see what happens going forward...
    06-07-2012 06:47 PM
    I cleared the directory where back-ups are stored so I can see what happens going forward...
    ok, great-thanks. If you could LMK how it turns out I would appreciate it because i am baffled by this! LOL
    06-07-2012 06:52 PM
    i've also poked around in my files on the computer going into the computer/app data/apple...etc to find them also, and no good.

So i went back onto my compt this morn, and apparently the path(on WinXP) to find the back up files is different thatn the path you would follow for Windows7.

on my WinXP i had to go to the C:\doc&set's\owner\application data\applecomputer\mobile sync\back up. (or in the search bar just type %appdata%, found this little short cut thru apple support)

I found the files, there were only six of them and to top it all off - the 'names' appears as a combo of letters & numbers- example: f905khsi7589834loskjriw7....etc. So to identify each back up to what iphone would be challenging to say the least!!

I backed my phone up again this morning just for shiz & giggles, and sure enough, it replaced the back up i just did yesterday - still not saving my previous back ups. I'm still confused by this.

06-08-2012 11:29 AM
    Backups should replace the last one you did. The only time you should see another back up is if you had to get a new iPhone or warranty swap. After you load your last backup, it will start a fresh one for that UDID. Your old one will still be there. Can you imagine if your backups were 2GB's and you had 100 backups sitting there? Also, I believe it may start a new backup when you run a new OS. For example 5.0.1 to 5.1. I can't remember that for sure but I think that is ringing a bell.
    06-08-2012 12:40 PM
    Backups should replace the last one you did. The only time you should see another back up is if you had to get a new iPhone or warranty swap. After you load your last backup, it will start a fresh one for that UDID. Your old one will still be there. Can you imagine if your backups were 2GB's and you had 100 backups sitting there? Also, I believe it may start a new backup when you run a new OS. For example 5.0.1 to 5.1. I can't remember that for sure but I think that is ringing a bell.
    Hooooooly cow Garz!! Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind or that there couldve been a glitch with my WinXP using iTunes. The explanation you just provided makes PERFECT sense when I first got my 4S in Nov2011, I was on the older software(the one prior to5.0.1, 4.3 or4.8? I can't recall). SO that explains why that back up is still there, and mid Nov I upgraded to 5.0.1 and I'm still on it, so each time I back up it only shows that current one and does not save any prior back ups on the same iOS for 5.0.1.

:oI didnt know this - going back from my bb days, EVERY single time you did a back up it was saved, so that in the future if you ever needed to go back to a specific one, you could navigate thru BBDM and apply it. :o I didn't realize ios didn't do this, but now I've learned something new lol. Considering how long I've had my ipad1 since release and now my iPhone, you think I would've had a clue by now lol.

Any way, thank you again Garz for the clarification on this
    06-08-2012 01:33 PM
    Although the current methods is arguably efficient, I would still like for iTunes to save at least the last 5 backups for the reasons listed my Pink.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    06-08-2012 01:48 PM
    Although the current methods is arguably efficient, I would still like for iTunes to save at least the last 5 backups for the reasons listed my Pink.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    Yes, D, I'd have to agree with you as well. Saving the last few back ups would be a nice option especially if your addy book has changed from one back up to another (like mine has from elimating unneeded #'s) and perhaps one had to go back to retrieve one for what ever reason, at least the option of it could be there to restore that one previous back up with the info you needed.

Oh well, perhaps in the future this could be an option!
    06-08-2012 02:00 PM
    Saving the last few back ups would be a nice option especially if your addy book has changed from one back up to another (like mine has from elimating unneeded #'s) and perhaps one had to go back to retrieve one for what ever reason, at least the option of it could be there to restore that one previous back up with the info you needed.
    This is why I use TimeMachine back-ups on my MacBook... I can go back several days, or weeks and fetch something like that
    06-08-2012 02:25 PM
    This is why I use TimeMachine back-ups on my MacBook... I can go back several days, or weeks and fetch something like that
    Same here, my friend.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    06-08-2012 03:01 PM
    Hooooooly cow Garz!! Thank you. I thought I was losing my mind or that there couldve been a glitch with my WinXP using iTunes. The explanation you just provided makes PERFECT sense when I first got my 4S in Nov2011, I was on the older software(the one prior to5.0.1, 4.3 or4.8? I can't recall). SO that explains why that back up is still there, and mid Nov I upgraded to 5.0.1 and I'm still on it, so each time I back up it only shows that current one and does not save any prior back ups on the same iOS for 5.0.1.

:oI didnt know this - going back from my bb days, EVERY single time you did a back up it was saved, so that in the future if you ever needed to go back to a specific one, you could navigate thru BBDM and apply it. :o I didn't realize ios didn't do this, but now I've learned something new lol. Considering how long I've had my ipad1 since release and now my iPhone, you think I would've had a clue by now lol.

Any way, thank you again Garz for the clarification on this
    yup your welcome!
    06-08-2012 05:53 PM
    I think itunes also saves back ups made during a restore too.
    No proof, but as I was restoring tonight, some of the back ups available to me seem to coincide with past restores.

Again, that's a hunch with no proof.
    06-08-2012 11:50 PM
    I think itunes also saves back ups made during a restore too.
    No proof, but as I was restoring tonight, some of the back ups available to me seem to coincide with past restores.

Again, that's a hunch with no proof.
    LSG, thanks for further info on the back up thing. This too would indeed make sense, being when you do a restore, some people chose to use a recent/previous back up

i know you said you had no proof, but it does make sense
    06-09-2012 09:35 AM
    kch50428, did you ever find if it is possible to restore from a manual backup? If you perform a backup manually, are you aware if this is saved somewhere?
    04-28-2016 10:50 PM
    Like others let others reply. The question you replied to is from 6/9/2012
    04-28-2016 11:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD