iTunes library on an external drive

sciteach

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased my 1st iPhone(4s) and am trying to get music to it. I store my music on an external hard drive. After installing iTunes 10 (I believe that is the most recent version) iTunes always tries to add music I have in My Music folder on my PC. I have followed the directions for creating a new library holding the shift key and starting iTunes. This walks me through creating a new library but then iTunes goes straight back to My Music folder to begin importing music.

How do I go about mapping iTunes to my Ext. hard drive instead of My Music folder?

Thanks in advance!

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're trying to do is possible, but maybe someone knows how. If you want to get music from your external hard drive to iTunes and then continually back up using your external hard drive, that is easily doable. What I would suggest is to import the music from your externla onto your PC (My Music folder). Then, import into iTunes from the My Music folder. You can then back up your music in the My Music any time with the external hard drive by dragging and dropping your Music folder into the external hard drive. This would apply to the existing music you have now and any music you may purchase/download.

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you disconnect your external? If you don't you can setup iTunes too see that by going into preferences.
I believe it's under general and it's an open box that usually says c:my music/iTunes or something along those lines.

What I do is set that box as a new folder on the external and check off keep my library organized.
What that does is no matter where you import your music from it copies it into that folder. Then you can delete the other copies and it should recognize the new folder as your home source for your files

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Under file click add folder and select your external hard drive .. Yes this will copy all your music from your external to the computer but then once it's in iTunes it will all sync

You can actually move your iTunes library from the pc to the external just do a google search I had my mine on my external and when my computer crashed it kinda made life easy

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
In iTunes, go the the "File" menu at the top and select "Preferences." Then click the "Advanced" button and make sure the library is directed to where you want it to be...you can map it anywhere as long as the external drive is on and recognized by your computer that you are running iTunes on.

People have had issues mapping to network drives...and iTunes will sometimes forget where the map goes and will give you issues (like your stated above) where it asks if you want to add stuff.

sciteach

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Under file click add folder and select your external hard drive ..

This worked out well. I held the Shift key and started iTunes. This allowed me to create a new library. Once I put my iTunes folder on my external drive I went to File-Select folder and selected the external drive.

Thanks!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This worked out well. I held the Shift key and started iTunes. This allowed me to create a new library. Once I put my iTunes folder on my external drive I went to File-Select folder and selected the external drive.

Thanks!

No problem glad to help

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox